Thread: Opinions please: What set up makes the most sense?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    We have all had the paralysis by analysis problem at some point in all of this.... I know I did... My vote is the .308 based upon the basics you provided on what it will be used for. With that being said, there are a couple things that may change my vote.

What kind of game are you hunting?
    Do you reload?

The 6.5 creed or the .260 Remington (which is what I went with) carry enough energy to take down an Elk (1500 Ft lbs) out to 400 yards using the 140 class bullets (I shoot the 143 ELD-X). So it too is a good all around cartridge... Has less recoil than .308 or 30-06 (I have a 30-06 for ELK myself).

As much as I like my .260 I still lean towards the 30-06 for big game, even though ballistics say the 6.5 round will get the job done. It just gives me greater piece of mind as I've seen the results with the 30-06. That may change down the road as I observe more results from my .260.

Anything smaller than an Elk, and the 6.5 Creed or .260 Rem is the clear winner in my book. Look at the ballistics for the .308 vs 6.5 Creed (even use a 180 gr. bullet for the .308 and a 140 gr. bullet from the 6.5) the down range ballistics will surprise you...

Just my .01,

Quote Originally Posted by SageRat Shooter View Post
    We have all had the paralysis by analysis problem at some point in all of this.... I know I did... My vote is the .308 based upon the basics you provided on what it will be used for. With that being said, there are a couple things that may change my vote.

What kind of game are you hunting?
    Do you reload?

The 6.5 creed or the .260 Remington (which is what I went with) carry enough energy to take down an Elk (1500 Ft lbs) out to 400 yards using the 140 class bullets (I shoot the 143 ELD-X). So it too is a good all around cartridge... Has less recoil than .308 or 30-06 (I have a 30-06 for ELK myself).

As much as I like my .260 I still lean towards the 30-06 for big game, even though ballistics say the 6.5 round will get the job done. It just gives me greater piece of mind as I've seen the results with the 30-06. That may change down the road as I observe more results from my .260.

Anything smaller than an Elk, and the 6.5 Creed or .260 Rem is the clear winner in my book. Look at the ballistics for the .308 vs 6.5 Creed (even use a 180 gr. bullet for the .308 and a 140 gr. bullet from the 6.5) the down range ballistics will surprise you...

Just my .01,
    I donÂ’t reload. Not currently. Deer for now. Hopefully elk at some point. While I understand that having multiple guns in various chmaberings for specific jobs make the most sense, money is a factor for me. Also, thanks to everyone whoÂ’s posted. Too much information can be not a great thing. Hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Stifffingers View Post
    I donÂ’t reload. Not currently. Deer for now. Hopefully elk at some point. While I understand that having multiple guns in various chmaberings for specific jobs make the most sense, money is a factor for me. Also, thanks to everyone whoÂ’s posted. Too much information can be not a great thing. Hahaha
    Go with the .308 then... You'll have the ability to do both with it, and you can find factory ammo just about anywhere you look.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stifffingers View Post
    Well there's "deer hunting" and then there's "deer hunting"! Which one do you do? Do you typically ride on a quad out to box blind or tree stand and sit there all day? Or, do you live in the mountains, like to still hunt and getting away from the crowds?

If you sit in a blind or tree stand all day, your golden. And who cares what the gun weighs, get a big bull barreled 6.5 CM long range target rifle and hunt with it? If you still hunt in the mountains, and like covering ground, get the lightest 308 (more versatile, has larger ammo selection than the 6.5 for normal hunting ranges <400 yds, with better availability) to hunt with, while you save up for the long range 6.5 CM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harpoon1 View Post
    Well there's "deer hunting" and then there's "deer hunting"! Which one do you do? Do you typically ride on a quad out to box blind or tree stand and sit there all day? Or, do you live in the mountains, like to still hunt and getting away from the crowds?

If you sit in a blind or tree stand all day, your golden. And who cares what the gun weighs, get a big bull barreled 6.5 CM long range target rifle and hunt with it? If you still hunt in the mountains, and like covering ground, get the lightest 308 (more versatile, has larger ammo selection than the 6.5 for normal hunting ranges <400 yds, with better availability) to hunt with, while you save up for the long range 6.5 CM.
    I go "DEER HUNTING!!!" and try to put at least 3 in the freezer every year. I'll stick to my dedicated deer rifle in .270! 270 won't be found on a range during a match, but it will drop a deer at farther range than I'm comfortable shooting one. To each his own when it comes to caliber preferences.