Quote Originally Posted by Nor Cal Mikie View Post
Been there, done that. Opened up a .223 bolt head, just a little. Same extractor, no issues. I single load so no issues with ejection.
6.8 should single stack feed with a little mod on the mag? Like I said, I single feed so I don't bother with that issue.
LOTS of AR info on the 6.8 SPC but not much (at the time I was thinking of building) on a bolt gun platform so I built one. Ordered up a Pac Nor straight pipe in 6.8 SPC. Went with the 6.8 SPC rather than the 6.8 SPC II, that way I could jam my bullets. The AR bunch seem to prefer the SPC II so they can run hotter loads??
Ordered dies from RCBS and batch of brass. Can't remember who I got the brass from but it's still going strong with no issues. All my loads are mid range so my brass doesn't get hammered. 100 yard bug holes are the norm. No scope change and a little hold over will produce groups that can be covered with a quarter out to 440 yards on a regular basis. The 6.8 SPC? Smaller than the 7.62/ .308 and larger than the 5.56/.223. Less recoil and more pep. What's not to like.
I built mine on an Axis action - had a .223 bolt face opened up. It works well with a .308 mag (needs minimal magazine adjustment of the feed lips to feed properly). As stated - bug holes to 200 yards for me with hand loads and factory ammo alike. I bought a limited run from a vendor that specialize in AR barrels.