Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stock barrel vs. aftermarket.

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
    Pretty accurate out of the box. However every Savage barrel I have looked at w/ bore scope has the chatter machining marks. A good aftermarket typically will be an improvement.
    I am going to get the 1:10 26" barrel from x-caliber. I just used all my lunch money on a high end AR i couldn't pass up (i love toys,lol). In the meantime, I did lap the stock savage barrel. It does ok, but i prefer a good old fashioned bull barrel with no flutes or brake, thus the future x-caliber.

Always a great question!
    Savage barrels are Ok for the price eBay has a big amount of them most of the time.
    I think after market is best you can find some from 300 to what ever you can Handel.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by homefrontsniper View Post
    1-10 for .308
    I wonder why all those Palma Shooters out there don't know this and barrel their .308's with 1:13, sometimes 1:14 twist barrels.

Oh, could it be that it doesn't matter what the caliber is as much as the bullet length?

Want to know what twist rate? First decide on what bullet you are planning on shooting then consult one of the numerous stability calculators online. Two good ones are located at JBM.com and Berger Bullet's website.

Another factor few take into consideration, the twist rate stamped on the barrel is determined by what button was used to rifle the barrel or what the machinist set his singe point rifling machine at. What the ACTUAL twist on you barrel is can be slightly more or slightly less. If you are shooting a bullet length that puts it's stability close to the actual twist rate's limit, any error can make that bullet less stable than a longer/shorter bullet.

To say that .308's need 1:10 twist rates is a totally inaccurate statement unless you are going to include the bullet that will be used. BTW, 175 gr bullets come in several different lengths with Flat based being the shortest and Tipped Boat tails being the longest. This is why every shooter has his favorite "accuracy" bullet as it's the one that works best with his rifles ACTUAL twist rate.

Take a cleaning rod and a real tight patch, put a piece of tape on the rod to use as a "flag". Now push it through your rifle until the flag had indicated one full revolution. Measure the amount of rod that went into the barrel. That 1:10 barrel just might be a 1:9.5 or 1:10.5, depending. Can't tell until you measure.

How is Alaska this time of year?

Most of the Palma shooters use 155 grain bullets for the higher velocities and flatter trajectories. Most use 28-30 inch barrels. A slow twist can be used with a higher velocity. I have a 1 in 12 and it doesn’t like long bullets. But it will put 168’s in the same hole. 150 grain Ballistic Tips make little very small cloverleafs. Using 178 Hornady HPBT looks like a buckshot pattern. YMMV

Sorry bud, Don't know what you are talking about. I had several windows open and posted on the wrong thread on the wrong forum. Interesting response for 3 months on the forum though.

Basic Member
    We generally try to play nice around here. Just PM anyone you care to throw sand at.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12