Thread: Differences in scope bases?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

Differences in scope bases?

Not a discussion on Weaver vs Picatinny or the like. I have an AXIS ll in 308 and found the OEM Weaver Kaspa scope, rings and bases very lacking. I ended up buying a Leupold American Marksman with the PRW rings. What I an curious about is the difference between the standard and QRW bases. I bought a set of the QRW bases and they hold the rings very secure, but I'm wondering if the standard bases would have somehow been better.

Which standard bases are you referring to? Typically when someone says "Leupold standard bases" most are going to think the turn-in dovetail type that are synonimous with Leupold. The "W" in the QRW name indicates Weaver-style which is a totally different system, so the two base types wouldn't be compatible with a given set of rings. Leupold doesn't have (that I could find) a different or "standard" set of Weaver-style rings for their PRW rings (non quick-release weaver rings), so their QRW rings are technically for both.

Now if you meant to say the difference between the PRW and QRW rings, the only real difference I can see would be in consistency of torquing them down. With the PRW you can use a torque wrench on them to make sure they're properly tightened, whereas with the QRW you just have the lever so you would have to have a properly calibrated thumb to get them the same time after time. Does it matter? Probably not.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Well done My F....Good info
    Perpetual Optimism is a force Multiplier....