Thread: So other than looks...

Basic Member

So other than looks...

Is there any advantage to the colored/varnished Boyd's stocks over the textured black paint? I have one of the Pro Varmints on another rifle, at first I thought it was sold wood, but later realized it's also laminated. Thinking seriously of ordering another one for my soon to arrive 12FV, was planning on black, but if the colored ones are stronger/stiffer/whatever, I'd definitely go that route instead. Thanks!

Dave

Congrats on the new 12FV....Love mine in 22-250rem...Debating on Boyds or Choate varmints stocks...
    Perpetual Optimism is a force Multiplier....

The color laminate seems stronger than the plain plywood of the basic Pro Varmint. I've not had a failure with either though.

They're exactly the same structurally. The layers of wood in the colored laminate just get a soak in a dye bath before they're glued up, while the laminate used for the painted ones don't. Same wood, same number of layers, same bonding agent....one's just prettier than the other.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Thanks, guys, appreciate the responses. Got a basic black one on the way . Later.

Dave