Thread: A17 Ruptured Case

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    First issue of this sort I can recall reading about. It could possibly just have been a matter of the action gunking up as different ammo can cause more or less fouling than others. Other than reviewing one (well - two, but that was due to a different issue) when they first came out I don't have much experience with them, but given my experience it really doesn't surprise me. Being a lefty, on most every shot I would feel a few specks of what I assume was unburnt powder pepper my right cheek when shooting the A17.

I've also always viewed the A17 as a rather finicky/high maintenance design with the momentary lockup system. The fact that Savage took the time to create a video specifically on how to clean/lube the model before it even started shipping tells you they knew it was a rather finicky design as well.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Another A17 spitting out ruptured cases

I read this thread with interest. I have had the same experience. Shot a bunch of CCI of two different types both 17 grain through it with no problem. Then, tried Remington Premier Magnum Rimfire 17 gr boat tail ammunition and the rifle didn't cycle a few times in the string of shots. Then, upon examining the casings later I found one that was split from the front to a liitle past the shoulder of the case. Another case was bulged at the base where the firing pin hits, the bottom was a little convex and not flat anymore.

Wondering if the person who started this thread got an Answre from Savage. The Remington ammo is actually about 100 fps slower than the CCI so unless it is something to do with how quickly the pressure builds up it dosn't seem like it ought to be generating more pressure.

Oh, by the way, all the Remington shots grouped to the right of where the CCI hit.

It would be a huge pain to send this gun back to Savage. Anybody have any comments or suggestions? Just shoot the CCI ammo and forget aboiut these nifty Remington boat tails?