Thread: Custom axis build

Custom axis build

Let me start by apologizing if this is in the wrong place haven't quite figured this out yet has a new member. I have an older axis with standard trigger was strongly considering a custom build replacing everything but the receiver itself. Contacted Savage which advised me it was not a good action for a custom build I should go with a model 10 or 110 but would give me no reasoning behind their statement. My question is is the axis action strong rigid or are there issues with it not being high quality receiver. to me it looks like a better action than the model 10 and I can see no reason for a custom build any help would be greatly appreciated.

Basic Member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Axis Build 2.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	4168

It may take more effort and research, but it's possible. Savage doesn't know everything about their rifles. This was my first build before I got into full customs. There's a number of threads in the Axis section on custom builds using the Axis action. So, to say it's not doable is a joke.

Thank you I really appreciate it thought maybe I was stupid

Great information thank you

Basic Member
    There were a ton of photos in that thread. It's too bad they all got screwed up when photobucket changed...

You’ll find he aftermarket world is more favorable to the 10/110 action. If you plan on keeping it forever, build how you desire. If there’s a chance you’d ever sell, you won’t get but pennies on the dollar back from your investment. My only advice is to price out how much your build will cost. I’ve got all three Axis/10/110, overall the 10 is my favorite action. I really like the three position safety, and the bolt operation is smoother. For the cost and my use for it, I’ve got no complaints with the axis!

Basic Member
    The build I pictured above ran $1500 including the scope, but as with any Savage you can expect to lose between 40-60% in resale value.

Looking forward to your build...Good luck.
    Perpetual Optimism is a force Multiplier....

It's more trouble than it's worth... I've been down this road. The aftermarket parts are more available for the 10/110, 11/111, 12/112. Additionally, the recoil lug system on the Axis is just so "weird"... To get the axis to shoot bug holes, you have to replace everything except the receiver. By the time you are done, you could have bought an LRP model for about the same money, and have a rifle that is 3 times better. I learned my lesson the hard way... I'm a lefty so I didn't have many options to choose from. If you really want something to build from, then look at the 12FV from Cabelas. It's a far better platform.

Really appreciate the help looks like I would be better off with a model 10

Quote Originally Posted by Chris H. View Post
    Absolutely!!

Basic Member
    I'd say so. Nothing wrong with the Axis, but my feeling is that it's best used as-is by the shooter who appreciates it for what it is.

Do a cost comparison of building around the action you currently have, vs buying a new rifle with some options your looking for and building around it.

The cost comparison: After replacing everything except the trigger and the action on my Axis (not including optics) and pillar and glass bedding it. Cost was about $820.00 (4 years ago)... Fortunately my Dad had all the tools I needed to swap out the barrel and do all the bedding.

Basic Member
    If the gun groups well for you now, build it. I just got my Boyd's stock for my Axis II. I'm also swapping a 26'' heavy barrel on same time. The recoil lug doesn't leave me warm and fuzzy, but I'm not loosing sleep over it. I do like how rigid the enclosed action is, that is why I bought it. The biggest upgrade you will get with a new gun is the accutrigger. If you would prefer a Riflebasix or Timney, keep what you have. I'm here to watch either way.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Evlshnngns View Post
    If the gun groups well for you now, build it. I just got my Boyd's stock for my Axis II. I'm also swapping a 26'' heavy barrel on same time. The recoil lug doesn't leave me warm and fuzzy, but I'm not loosing sleep over it. I do like how rigid the enclosed action is, that is why I bought it. The biggest upgrade you will get with a new gun is the accutrigger. I you would prefer a Riflebasix or timney, keep what you have. I'm here to watch either way.
    I never really had any issues with the Axis recoil lug. I took that rifle to a number of long range steel matches and faired quite well. Another buddy of mine did real well shooting local Club Level PRS matches last year with his for quite some time. As long as it is properly fit into a good stock it will do work!

Basic Member
    I've always wondered how much of an impact the enclosed action makes.

The Axis recoil lug is not an impediment to accuracy across a wide range of shooting styles. Maybe benchresters will see a difference, but for the vast majority of shooters, the difference will not be noticeable. I suspect the only reason it hasn't been done before (or at least hasn't been done as prolifically) is the recoil lug being part of the barreled action had become the paradigm for bolt actions. Even that paradigm probably started with the recoil lug on the receiver until it was shifted by major designs like the Savage 110 and Remington 700. I'd like to think the Axis recoil lug was only possible thanks to modern plastic manufacturing, but it's possible Savage would've gone with the design regardless of what stock material was cheapest.

My take on custom Axises: They are fine rifles to build on with a few caveats, many of which have already been mentioned. You will have fewer choices for parts, but the parts that are shared with 110s still give you a number of options. The receiver is always a long action with a closed top, which means it will have extra weight if you're not trying to build a heavy gun. Also, some of the options out there if you're interested in using AICS magazines (chassis systems, CDI bottom metal) are only geared toward short action magazines.

Basic Member
    I think the Ruger American does something similar to the axis, with a stock mounted recoil lug. I'll bed the action and not worry about it. I also chose the axis for its long action, its kind of a medium compared to a magnum action. Its perfect for the long bullets in the 6.5x55 swede or 6.5x284. And the top strap of metal on the axis will do a fine job of holding a full bull barrel.