Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Axis build

Basic Member

Axis build - 1000 yard capable.

Very excited today gentlemen. I finally made it home last night and I'm going to start my build today.

I will be bringing some pictures to this thread, but I have to wait until I can go get the rest of the tools I need. Turns out my current vice doesn't open far enough for the barrel vise I got. Also was going to pick up a torque wrench and torque screw driver. I have to remove some material from the stock I picked up as well. Hopefully by tomorrow I should have it all together.

Base is a Savage Axis SR in .308
    Barrel is a McGowan 26" varmint contour in .308 1 in 10 twist
    Rifle Basix SAV-1 Trigger
    Stock is still a secret
    Be adding a 20 MOA scope base and for now still rocking the Barska that was on it at time of purchase. (want a 10x42 SWFA SS) and I'll be moving the bipod and sling over to the new stock as well.

Hopefully all goes smoothly. Once I get the rest of the tools this morning.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by LoneWolf; 10-31-2013 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Change Title

Basic Member
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

So barrel is on the action but I can't get the barrel nut to loosen so that I can tighten it to the action.

Either the barrel gets stuck and won't headspace or the barrel nut is to tight to snug down to the action without the barrel turning again not allowing proper he'd spacing.

Any ideas?

Last edited by LoneWolf; 08-17-2013 at 04:23 PM.

thomae
    Take the barrel and nut off the action. Then, either using a barrel clamp or perhaps many layers of duct tape around the barrel and then a wrench, work the nut off the barrel. Then check the threads of the barrel and of the nut. You may have some schmutz in them or something. Clean them out well so that the nut spins freely. Then just a dab of anti-seize grease on the threads and you should be good to go. On some barrels I removed, there were little pieces of shot from the peening process that had to be picked out of the threads before everything went together with no effort.

Basic Member
    Thanks thomae I'll work with that.

Basic Member
    All I can say is "money" on the tape idea.

Basic Member
    [IMG][/IMG]

Little bit of inletting left to do but was to excited not to post a first pic.

thomae
    Oh, the other thing: Wind the duct tape as tightly as possible and in a direction so that when you turn the wrench on it you are tightening the spiral, not loosening it. Less chance of it coming loose that way. Use enough so that the jaws of the wrench don't cut through to the metal below.

Basic Member
    I actually just added enough tape to clamp it in my action wrench. Worked like a charm.

Alright...now that you have shown us the stock...what kind is it???? Was there a lot of inletting to do around the action area?

Looking good so far!

Basic Member
    Unfortunately, I can't release all the information on the stock. It should be released this fall by the manufacturer when they are ready. I got lucky and picked it up as one of their first runs after stumbling across some information and sending many emails and a few phone calls.

Again, it was just a right time right place kind of thing on actually being able to get hold of one. I only had asked if they intended to build one and what the specs were. They offered to sell me one of the competed ones from an initial run.

The stock is fully inletted for the Axis with a standard sporter barrel (a direct drop in just have to move the recoil lug over). I'm opening the barrel channel for the varmint contour barrel.

I will get more pictures in the morning after I get a little more done on it as I have been doing all updates on my phone only. At the moment.

Last edited by LoneWolf; 08-18-2013 at 04:02 AM.

Basic Member

http://

Alright got the barrel channel opened up today after a few more hours of sanding. I sealed it with Birchwood Casey's True Oil. I like the way it turned out for sure. If you have picture requests of any other portions you'd like a closer view of or questions about anything let me know. I just wanted to show that the Axis has potential even though a few have already done so on their time as well. I'me hoping to get out on the range with it in a week or 2. I have 200rds on hand waiting for this thing.

Basic Member

Basic Member

Nice looking build but you may want to try a set of low rings, especialy if you get the SS scope.

Check that scope with a level cross hairs are canted from looking at the pic.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Basic Member
    I intended to get new rings when I am able to fund a new optic. I haven't find tuned the scope at all yet, so we'll see I've never used a barska optic until it came with this rifle. I'm still debating glass bedding the action into this stock as well. Seems like it would be best if I want to try running it in a match down the road.
    Last edited by LoneWolf; 08-19-2013 at 03:54 PM.

LoneWolf, is the stock you have a charcoal Black in color?

Basic Member
    Yes it is Charcoal black. When it comes to the market the will be a few color options available.

Last edited by LoneWolf; 08-23-2013 at 08:12 AM.

Basic Member
    Broke down today and ordered the SWFA SS Scope. They had a deal on their website that included all the accessories with it. Also ordered a karsten cheek riser that I got a deal on because it was one of the blemished one sold by tactical works. Once I get it all installed I'll see if I need to extend the LOP to get the perfect fit or not.

Was looking at the Graco models on midway, but I don't think they'll match up well to the shape of my buttstock. Anyone have a good way to do this on a laminate stock?

Last edited by LoneWolf; 08-24-2013 at 08:54 PM.

Can't wait to see the range results!

Basic Member
    Hoping to get out next weekend. Just depends on what days I have off due to the holiday.

223 4 me
    Nice job Dude! The coolest Axis I have ever seen.....

Basic Member
    Research has come through! I believe I'll be ordering one of these tomorrow!

http://stockpositioning.com/braun_sl...butt_plate.htm

223 4 me: Thanks for the comments I can't wait to get a range report back up here. Hopefully next weekend.

Basic Member
    http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42-Tactic...IT-P64860.aspx

Here is the Scope kit deal I went with.

afartinthewind
    Very nice. Looking forward to some info in the secret stock, looks sharp.

Basic Member
    All parts ordered. Back to waiting for them to show up. Stock will be fully adjustable with the new parts.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast