Thread: SSS Barrel lug question

Yotewhacker

SSS Barrel lug question

I am installing a new LW barrel on my model 12 action so I thought I would use one of the SSS barrel lugs for the job. The problem is that the SSS lug is taller and thicker than the standard Savage that was on before. I am installing this action in a Mcmillan stock, and wonder if I should mill off the required .050" from the bottom of the lug, or deepen the channel in the synthetic stock. I do plan on epoxy bedding the action at some point anyway, but carving inside of a $500.00 stock makes me nervous non the less. :-\

Basic Member

Re: SSS Barrel lug question

That's a tough one. I would be leery either way. Was the new stock just not deep enough? I have sss lugs in three of my guns that are in three diff. stocks and not a problem. none of them are MM.
    16-223, 10 223, 10 FCP 308, 111 30-06, 110 30-06, 111 6.5x55, 112 338-06/6mm Rem, 110 300 WinMag,

dcloco

If rifle is still apart and you have access to a mill, then take 0.100 off the lug.

Team Savage

modify the cheapest parts to replace first

Yotewhacker

Quote Originally Posted by stumpjumper400
    That's a tough one. I would be leery either way. Was the new stock just not deep enough? I have sss lugs in three of my guns that are in three diff. stocks and not a problem. none of them are MM.
    Nope. The stock is shy .050" for the lug settling deep enough to line up with the receiver when doing a dry fit of the parts.

Since you plan on bedding the stock anyway go ahead and muck out the recoil lug slot with a dremel. That's the most critical parts to bed anyway.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

ellobo

Go ahead and mill off the bottom of the lug to match the depth of the original lug. Nothing wrong with that and it will give you the same surface of lug to take the thrust. I wouldnt muck around with a dremel in a $500 stock where you really cant tell how deep your going.

El Lobo

Basic Member

The lug is oversize for a reason. Cut the recoil lug pocket deeper and bed it.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member

There you have it. Straight from the man that built the lug. Hog out the stock.
    16-223, 10 223, 10 FCP 308, 111 30-06, 110 30-06, 111 6.5x55, 112 338-06/6mm Rem, 110 300 WinMag,

Basic Member

Well I would listen to Jim Briggs (Sharpshooter), knowledge and experience count a lot, in my opinion. I don't see how removing .05"=1/20" of material will hurt the integrity of the stock.

Yotewhacker

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter
    The lug is oversize for a reason. Cut the recoil lug pocket deeper and bed it.
    Thanks Fred. I am shipping my rifle to you in the near future when my 308 Brux barrel comes in, at that time you are doing an action job so I may just wait and have you do the bedding as well. As Khuff pointed out, so little material needs to be removed that I can just take my time and get it done. The SSS barrel lug does fit nice and tight in the stock recess compared to the thinner factory one that had some slop, and varied in thickness around it's perimeter by more than a few thou.

Jeff Y.

DGD6MM

The sharpshooter reply cam from Fred, the owner of SSS. Do exactly what Fred said and after it is done, you will be waaaaaay ahead of the game. All the info is on this site for this job, just search and ask questions if need be. If you can change a tire, you can do this.

When you bed a rifle, It helps to grind some groves in the stock anyway so the bedding material has something to mechanically lock into. also to give the material a little thickness, not just a ultra thin layer that could flake off.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor