Thread: Brass Sizing and the Savage Barrel Nut Equation

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    You lost me bro.... I’m running the RCBS Summit press for sizing....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2 part answer.

I dont like having a tight cartridge fitting to any accurate rifle. That was popular a while back but these days I know of few people keeping the case fit tight in the chamber after loading. You already know someone that can help you remove material from both the holder or die. This is an answer to a question that may not have been asked.

Your RCBS press cams over when the ram reaches top dead center and then moves downward all in the same handle motion. This can be done with or without the die and the holder making contact. The Lee Classic has ram stops machined into the linkage. You can adjust your die to either make contact with the holder or not. One thing I noticed was that I get more consistent sizing with a shorter base to datum measurement while utilizing one of these 4 methods. Your method appears to be bottoming out on the die but it is not stated if you cam over. Camming over in my opinion if done with force when the die and holder contact, could increase the wear and tear on press. That is another discussion though. This post may be another discussion as well. My interest was which of the four you use. You use a press that has the capacity to cam over and you bottom out on the die. Where in the stroke this happens is still not clear to me.

Above M12lrs makes a great point.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    2 part answer.

I dont like having a tight cartridge fitting to any accurate rifle. That was popular a while back but these days I know of few people keeping the case fit tight in the chamber after loading. You already know someone that can help you remove material from both the holder or die. This is an answer to a question that may not have been asked.

Your RCBS press cams over when the ram reaches top dead center and then moves downward all in the same handle motion. This can be done with or without the die and the holder making contact. The Lee Classic has ram stops machined into the linkage. You can adjust your die to either make contact with the holder or not. One thing I noticed was that I get more consistent sizing with a shorter base to datum measurement while utilizing one of these 4 methods. Your method appears to be bottoming out on the die but it is not stated if you cam over. Camming over in my opinion if done with force when the die and holder contact, could increase the wear and tear on press. That is another discussion though. This post may be another discussion as well. My interest was which of the four you use. You use a press that has the capacity to cam over and you bottom out on the die. Where in the stroke this happens is still not clear to me.

Above M12lrs makes a great point.

https://youtu.be/vYJy-5rVs0s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk