Thread: Savage centerfeed magazine box side movement

Basic Member

Savage centerfeed magazine box side movement

Is it normal for centerfeed magazine box moves side to side a bit when loading? This is my 3rd Savage but first centerfeed, have/had stagger feed. It is a 12FV in 223. I like stagger feed much better! Centerfeed feed lips are stiff, hard to push rounds down into mag, the side movement actually helps a bit but I hope it is designed this way, not something broke! Won't feed single round by dropping a round either! Will the feed lips loosen up with use and easier to load?

Basic Member
    No, the mag should not move like that. Remove stock and see if the mag pops loose. I bet it does, though it shouldn't. There is a metal "L" bracket wedged between the back of the mag box and rear of the mag well in the stock that should be holding it in place. I have never known one to come loose if not removed intentianally first, but it may have. If it were mine, i would refasten it with a dab of epoxy and open the lips a bit if loading is tough. As for single loading, i have never had a problem with centerfeed. I just slip in the cartridge on top of mag and flip it forward into the chamber before closing bolt. Maybe its easier for me because i shoot right hand bolts left handed.

Basic Member
    I hate the centerfeed mags and the whole L bracket wedging system. My 12FV in .233 is pretty stiff to load up. I second the action of securing them with some epoxy putty, but *only* in the corners. If you get it anywhere near the sides it will keep the lips from spreading even the tiny amount they need to go...

Basic Member
    There is a metal "L" bracket wedged between the back of the mag box and rear of the mag well in the stock that should be holding it in place.
    I removed the stock to check, the mag is locked in place with the "L" bracket wedged in the back of mag. The whole mag box rocks/rolls side to side a bit with the "L" bracket in place. I like to remove the mag box to check if anything wrong, how to do it? I push the back of the mag box on the top rear flange look like a hook thinking there may be a lock, but it does not "unlock" the box. I didn't want to push it too hard and cause damage. It is a brand new rifle just received from recent Cabela deal.
    The synthetic stock has a channel from the forearm tip to the barrel lug area, makes it easy to bed a fiberglass rod to stiffen up the stock! The stock is pillar bedded as advertised!
    I sanded the feed lips a bit with sand paper wrapped around a spent case, now it is easier to push a round down. I bet my thumb still sore after loading 20 or so rounds!

EDIT: I found info on removing mag box. Looks like it can roll a bit relative to the L clip. I will leave it alone.
    http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...er-(SF-and-CF)