I started off with Contenders (a 14" 30-30 was my first handgun :D) but have moved away from them lately. They can be extremely accurate, but also very unpredictable. I would get 1" groups at 100yds one day, and 5" groups the next. I tried everything but I just couldn't get the consistency that I wanted. I also felt limited by the calibers that could safely be put into a Contender. There are some good ones available, but nothing spectacular. I sold off 18 barrels and only kept 2, a 10" 7mm TCU and a 14" 35 Rem. The 7mm has a 2x scope on it and gets used carried while I'm out on my mountain bike. I shot my first deer with the 35 Rem so it's hanging around just because of that.

I also tried the Encore which is what you would need to shoot the bigger calibers. The Encore is heavier and doesn't fit everyone. I just couldn't get a good a grip that felt good to me, so I got out of the Encore game.

I got a Striker about 6 months ago and I wish I had done it a lot earlier. It's not as light or packable as the Contender, but you get the strength and consistency of a bolt gun. It's stronger than an Encore and can take any caliber that you would put on a Savage rifle. Changing barrels takes a little longer than on a Contender or Encore, but not much.

I think that a Contender would be best for what you're looking for. It's really the most packable and versatile of the specialty pistols. The other option would be a good 6" revolver. It would carry better than any of the other single shot or bolt action pistols.

Andrew