Thread: Tuning A Savage Action?????

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    I had a model 10 action faced by a local gunsmith, just cause it seems like the thing to do and I was building a new gun for target shooting. Not sure I would do it again. Reason?
    Looking at the front face of the action, I can see that it has been work hardened and embossed with some kind of rolling tool, and I'm not sure cutting that feature out is the best thing to do. So on my most recent build, I lapped that area smooth with 1000 grit and a flat plate just to remove the ridges around the work hardening left by the tool. Far as I could tell, the embossing was perfectly concentric and flat and what I was doing was probably un-necessary. But it gave me confidence in the action.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas10 View Post
    I had a model 10 action faced by a local gunsmith, just cause it seems like the thing to do and I was building a new gun for target shooting. Not sure I would do it again. Reason?
    Looking at the front face of the action, I can see that it has been work hardened and embossed with some kind of rolling tool, and I'm not sure cutting that feature out is the best thing to do. So on my most recent build, I lapped that area smooth with 1000 grit and a flat plate just to remove the ridges around the work hardening left by the tool. Far as I could tell, the embossing was perfectly concentric and flat and what I was doing was probably un-necessary. But it gave me confidence in the action.
    I don't know how you came to that conclusion, but you're seeing things that are not there. Nothing on the receiver is "rolled" or "work " hardened.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."