Thread: test firing a rebarrel job - safety measures?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted_Feasel View Post
    . savage barrels are very rough relatively speaking compared to something like shilen that is hand lapped in...
    The first, and only barrel I've seen with my own eyes that had lands and grooves that looked like they had "railroad ties" on them was a Savage.

If Savage would at least hone the barrels after they are drilled, the buttons wouldn't be ironing these artifacts from the drilling process into the lands and grooves.

The current barrel I have on my Savage was drilled, honed for bore dimension and finish, then buttoned for rifling. A final hand lap gave the barrel a slight "choke" which helps in the speed department.

Factory barrels don't have to be rough. Honing of drilled blanks and hammer forging are processes that can yield a lot smoother barrels than what some Manufacturers are pushing out the door. For the shooter that's buying on the basis of price, where's the economy when you buy a $600 (+/-) rifle and then have to put a $350-$600 replacement barrel on it in order to get the accuracy you desire?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadshot2 View Post
    The first, and only barrel I've seen with my own eyes that had lands and grooves that looked like they had "railroad ties" on them was a Savage.

If Savage would at least hone the barrels after they are drilled, the buttons wouldn't be ironing these artifacts from the drilling process into the lands and grooves.

The current barrel I have on my Savage was drilled, honed for bore dimension and finish, then buttoned for rifling. A final hand lap gave the barrel a slight "choke" which helps in the speed department.

Factory barrels don't have to be rough. Honing of drilled blanks and hammer forging are processes that can yield a lot smoother barrels than what some Manufacturers are pushing out the door. For the shooter that's buying on the basis of price, where's the economy when you buy a $600 (+/-) rifle and then have to put a $350-$600 replacement barrel on it in order to get the accuracy you desire?
    No they don't have to be it's just the cost-cutting measure and it's one I'm Lily willing to live with I can go through a break-in procedure and have a good Smooth Bore or I can pay a few hundred extra for a barrel that I don't have to do that with

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    No they don't have to be it's just the cost-cutting measure and it's one I'm Lily willing to live with I can go through a break-in procedure and have a good Smooth Bore or I can pay a few hundred extra for a barrel that I don't have to do that with

I don't hunt I just shoot for distance and accuracy and for me part of the fun of all of it is going through all those nuances breaking in the barrel and that feeling I get knowing that I did it right and for me it was really neat to sit there and watch a 5ml a drop 2 1/2 in Malay throughout the day of breaking in a barrel it was just really neat to watch the group slowly tighten up

Basic Member
    I don't hunt I just shoot for distance and accuracy and for me part of the fun of all of it is going through all those nuances breaking in the barrel and that feeling I get knowing that I did it right and for me it was really neat to sit there and watch a 5ml a drop 2 1/2 in Malay throughout the day of breaking in a barrel it was just really neat to watch the group slowly tighten up

Watch a 5 moa drop to a 1/2 moa ^^^^^