Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: This scope stuff is driving me crazy... Need scope advise for a 10T .308

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by earl39 View Post
    That type ring sux no matter who makes it.
    As to you original question. For KNOWN distance a SFP scope is fine but for UNKNOWN distance without using a range finder but having KNOWN target size the FFP scopes work great. Each has it's weakness and it's place where it shines. You now have a scope to try so get out and try it. Go to some matches and see how it works and what type scope the other shooters are using. If you plan on only shooting known distance don't worry about what unknown distance shooters are using and vice versa. Enjoy what you have and good luck. Please remember 168's for the most part from a 308 don't do good past about 750 yards depending on velocity.
    Earl, trust me when I say I'm not a bragger or a big mouth as I have been accused of here.
    I'm simply an 82 year old man who has been doing this stuff for a very long time.
    My shooting ability isn't any better than yours, or others who have been following this.
    I made the statement in an earlier post that the type scope really makes no difference for most shooters.
    And the fact is it dosent, as for hitting targets at long distances from your basic zero point.
    I also made mention of the (one shot zero method).
    Do you and others here know what that means?
    I would suggest using a large target, the larger the better, say a full sheet of plywood propped up with a smaller target in the middle as an aiming point.
    We are fortunate in that we use the side of a mountain, with a small rock as an aiming point.
    And shooting at a steep mountainside would be like shooting darts at the board on a wall as opposed to it laying on the floor.
    Anyway, place that target as far away as possible from your shooting position, but 3 or 400 hundred yards would work, and for that distance, don't add any elevation to the scope from your basic 100 yd zero, just shoot at the target.
    Now look to see where the shot landed, and lets just say it landed 12" low and 6" to the right of where you held for the shot.
    Now you will again line up the gun with the scope on the original aiming point, AND (WITHOUT MOVING THE GUN), DIAL THE SCOPE TO WHERE THE BULLET HIT.
    I repeat, (WITHOUT MOVING THE GUN), dial to the hit.
    Now Earl, assuming you followed those instructions, where do you think your second shot will be?
    That's how my 15 year old granddaughter killed that buck with a sfp scope and no rangefinder.
    You can also use that system to zero your gun initially at what ever distance you choose for a zero.
    Trust me it takes no special skill to do that, just knowing how its done is all it takes.
    But like driving stick shift cars, its no longer taught.
    I'm not advocating not using a rangefinder, and not dialing as accurately as possible before taking a shot.
    But knowing how to use a scope to get the results you need is all that really matters for most shooting situations.
    You might even have an enjoyable time hitting targets you don't know the distance of by using that method, and become very familiar with the scope at the same time.
    Guess the distance, then hit the target with as few shots as possible.
    You might even get good enough at it to have fun with a friend who is serious a first round cold bore shooter. Naah, lol

Basic Member
    yobuck why do you want to try to drag me into the rather warm discussion you are having with others? I mentioned no names and said nothing bad about what anyone has said. But just to answer your question. Yes i know where the bullet should hit PROVIDED the gun doesn't move. Sighting in a scope is not something that only a few people know how to do.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

I think it's safe to say this thread has run it's course.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234