Thread: Savage rebuild

Basic Member

Savage rebuild

I'm currently rebuilding a custom savage rifle and I'll post some pics later on. I've always wondered how well the Grako mercury recoil systems work, and I'm impressed. I would say that felt recoil is down by 30%. It's not nearly as much as a good brake or a suppressor, but this is a relatively cheap way of reducing felt recoil and balancing out your rifle. I have mine mounted in a Choate UV stock. It currently has a 308 Douglas barrel chambered by Fred at SSS, so look out for the barrel in the classifieds.

The aforementioned rifle will get a 28" CBI 284 Winchester barrel. I'm hoping for great things out of the barrel.

I'm also building a 6.5 Creedmoor for a friend of mine who is finishing his masters degree. Something that caught me off guard was when I pulled the barrel of the Savage hog hunter, there were a lot of metal shavings. Savage definitely didn't clean the barrel threads properly before installing and headspacing their barrel. I decided on renting the headspace gauges since I don't plan on constantly swapping out the barrels. I chose the 6.5 Creedmoor for my friend because he doesn't reload and can get ammo off the shelf that shoot fairly well.

Here is his action:

Here is the old barrel:

Here is the barrel action:
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Basic Member
    Last year I was examining a 6.5 Creedmoor 10BA Stealth. Although I like the design and engineering, I too was not impressed with the fit and finish. After disassembly, cleaning, polishing a few of the surfaces, and re-assembly, the operation of the action was considerably smoother than the rifle right out of the box.....