Hello fellow Savage shooters,

I was researching the improvements made to other Savage rifles using the bolt lift kit replacement bolt assembly screw and it seems that they work due to minimizing the friction with the bolt assembly screw (BAS) throughout the cocking operation.

However, I am aware that the Axis does not have the same solid BAS, and instead has a hollow one that allows for a cocking indicator.

In that case, does binding still occur around the diameter of the BAS? If so could this friction be minimized with the use of a small thrust bearing as I have seen it suggested somewhere?

Does anyone happen to have ID and OD measurements of the BAS? I'm just saving taking mine apart for until I have a whole regimen of solutions to test and hope to get it all done in one go.

Any feedback to this idea is welcome, it may be a no-starter.

Just thought i would include a picture of what such a thrust bearing may look like:

EDIT: I've done some digging on the forum and have seen suggestions for the use of a greased flat washer, I will try that first.

Beyond that, should the caming ramps and outer faces of the bolt lugs be polished to ease lift?