I also purchased a youth model axis in 223 earlier this year. I got it with a gander mountain $50 off coupon AND the savage rebate. So it cost me less than $200. Super great deal for a basic shooter.

I slapped a PA 1-8 scope on it with the chevron and i can keep basic 55gr ammo inside 5-7" at 400 yds on 8x shooting off elbows. The drop lines were perfect for PPU ammo but federal 55gr were a little slow to match up exactly.

Ive not experienced and forearm flax but only adjustment ive made is to clip a couple coils off the trigger spring to lighten it up just a tad. I think im gonna leave it as is.

I know if i invest some time in reloading for it, i can shrink those long range groups, but my goal was to make a very light and easy handling rifle. Im considering chopping the barrel to 16.5" and having it threaded but theres not a lot of meat on that barrel to get a good shoulder to index on. We will see if i decide to invest more money in it, or do as SageRat says and use it for another rifle! Ha