I recently bought a used Savage action I plan build a rifle with. Since I eventually might need to know what exact model I have, I contacted Savage Arms to find out the model no according to the serial number. They referred me to the Savage Historical Services (LOL) since it appeared it was made prior to 1995 which was the big company turnover and that everything prior was stored at the Histocy Services.
History Services sent me a letter saying I would have to pay $25.00 in order to get this info. They also want barrel length and style(no barrel on it !), stock, grip and foreend style (no stock for it yet) ! Unbelievable. I have been collecting and shooting rifles that date back to as far as 1892 and always could find model and year of production easily on the net or in referrence books.
This is my first Savage arm and I thought barrel swap would be convenient but never expected any hardship of this kind for such a simple question like serial number reference.
I wish I could post a picture of the action here but can't find how with this forum.