Thread: Savage response to 110 information inquiry

Basic Member

Savage response to 110 information inquiry

I recently bought a used Savage action I plan build a rifle with. Since I eventually might need to know what exact model I have, I contacted Savage Arms to find out the model no according to the serial number. They referred me to the Savage Historical Services (LOL) since it appeared it was made prior to 1995 which was the big company turnover and that everything prior was stored at the Histocy Services.
    History Services sent me a letter saying I would have to pay $25.00 in order to get this info. They also want barrel length and style(no barrel on it !), stock, grip and foreend style (no stock for it yet) ! Unbelievable. I have been collecting and shooting rifles that date back to as far as 1892 and always could find model and year of production easily on the net or in referrence books.
    This is my first Savage arm and I thought barrel swap would be convenient but never expected any hardship of this kind for such a simple question like serial number reference.
    I wish I could post a picture of the action here but can't find how with this forum.

Basic Member
    Have you tried googling the serial number? "Savage Action Serial# ......" I've found information like that

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Banned
    Well Savage is indeed a strange beast in that regard.

Picture is meaningless. Is it long action or short? Get a SN and at least a way back it can be roughly located what year.

Its going to be a small shank for the important part.

My brother got a great deal on a real nice one, he wanted to know how he know it was real.

Well you don't. On the other hand, for someone to spend the money to fake what you have would cost far more than what you have.

And in the end, its just a receiver and its so American, you can make it into anything you want.

None of mine are recognize for what their heritage is.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bignorm40 View Post
    Have you tried googling the serial number? "Savage Action Serial# ......" I've found information like that

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    This is the first thing I tried. I tried it again in case I had formulated it wrong but nothing came out.

Basic Member

savage action info

The serial number starts with F followed by numbers '114240'. It's a long action according to the distance between the screws and the bolt head was meant to fit a .308 win case head. Savage said it was manufactured in 1991 but nothing more. At Boyds Gunstocks, they have 6 different model 110. So I chanced it and ordered one. Bolt release didn't fit so I had to McGiver the stock a little and it finally fitted. Wish I knew how to post its picture here.
    Oh yeah, I can't see anything else than the serial number, no 'Savage' marking anywhere. It was probably marked on the barrel I guess.

Basic Member
    dating action: http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...Firearm-Dating
    exact model is unnecessary. As RC20 pointed out you will need to know if it's a long or short action, large or small shank (barrel threads), action screw spacing and stagger feed or center feed. All this info is on this site in the FAQ section.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by olddav View Post
    dating action: http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...Firearm-Dating
    exact model is unnecessary. As RC20 pointed out you will need to know if it's a long or short action, large or small shank (barrel threads), action screw spacing and stagger feed or center feed. All this info is on this site in the FAQ section.
    It's a Long Action, small shank (thread is 1.05" x 20), screw spacing is 5.062". As for the mag, there isn't any on the action I bought and I didn't plan on using one anyway but instead converting it to single shot for target shooting and capping the mag port.
    I read the FAQ section.

Basic Member
    More than likely it's a stagger feed. Even though you are not going to use any form of a mag, it may be useful info.

This will let you pinpoint the year of manufacture by the serial number.

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...-Letter-Prefix

All of the "F" prefix guns were stagger-feed models. Savage didn't make the change to center-feed until they were well into the "G" prefix.

Basic Member
    Appreciate your help guys. Think I got lots of info now from knowledgable people; more help from you guys than from the Savage cie anyway. I'll try and do my best now to build myself a rifle.
    Thanks very much to all.

As you know, Savage has changed hands a number of times over the years. They just recently bought back the historical records from John Calhoun who previously owned them and did the lettering for $25/pop. Savage really isn't setup to continue lettering as John did, and franky I don't know why they even mention doing it at this stage in the game. We all would have been much better off if John had just donated the records to the Cody Firearm Museum as they already do the lettering for Winchester firearms and could have easily adapted that system for the Savage records as well.

Basic Member

Savage records

Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    As you know, Savage has changed hands a number of times over the years. They just recently bought back the historical records from John Calhoun who previously owned them and did the lettering for $25/pop. Savage really isn't setup to continue lettering as John did, and franky I don't know why they even mention doing it at this stage in the game. We all would have been much better off if John had just donated the records to the Cody Firearm Museum as they already do the lettering for Winchester firearms and could have easily adapted that system for the Savage records as well.
    Interesting. No wonder it's hard to get info from them. It seems to be a good rifle but they made so many variations overtime that it must be hard for a company to keep up with all those changes. Thanks .