Thread: boyds prairie/cllassic for bench and varmints?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Not sure what you don't prefer about the Pro Varmint as it's specifically designed for what you want to do, but to each their own... The Prairie hunter would be my vote (I have the PV & PH). The comb is a little higher on the PH then the classic, however I still put a cheek riser on it for my bench varmint rifle. The Heritage is another option very close to that of the PH. I like the PH quite a bit, and it's relatively comfortable to shoot from prone or bench. The Pro Varmint is WAY more comfortable though... IMO

I switch back and forth between the PV and the PH and I don't feel that "it throws me off"... The biggest difference I notice is: my bag height changes both front and rear, when I swap a gun over. Other than that, the only difference I notice is in the angle of my wrist is much more comfortable when shooting the PV.

Good luck,

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SageRat Shooter View Post
    Not sure what you don't prefer about the Pro Varmint as it's specifically designed for what you want to do, but to each their own... The Prairie hunter would be my vote (I have the PV & PH). The comb is a little higher on the PH then the classic, however I still put a cheek riser on it for my bench varmint rifle. The Heritage is another option very close to that of the PH. I like the PH quite a bit, and it's relatively comfortable to shoot from prone or bench. The Pro Varmint is WAY more comfortable though... IMO

I switch back and forth between the PV and the PH and I don't feel that "it throws me off"... The biggest difference I notice is: my bag height changes both front and rear, when I swap a gun over. Other than that, the only difference I notice is in the angle of my wrist is much more comfortable when shooting the PV.

Good luck,
    I don't like the plywood its made from and don't care for the large palm swell. I tried one on a rifle and didn't like it at all. Tried a boyds thumbhole too and it was a little odd with my thumb bone hitting the inside of the hole.