Thread: 6mm 75gr V-Max

Basic Member

6mm 75gr V-Max

For all yall with 6mm experience I have a question. Would a 75gr V-Max be effiecient for deer hunting? I have a 6BR 1in12 twist and it shoots them in 3/4" groups and I am wanting to use it for deer hunting instead of my 300 win mag.

Basic Member

Re: 6mm 75gr V-Max

No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 The V stands for Varmint. It is designed to blow up.
    There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can do math and those who can't

Basic Member

I would go with the Sierra 85gr. hpbt Gameking. Its a great deer bullet.
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day- Harry Truman

1Shot

...Head or neck shots will do the deal..Might be a touch messy...lol...

Basic Member

Well guys I tried the 85gr Nosler Partitions today in my 6BR 12twist and they did ok. Shot 5 shot 1" groups consistently. Good enought to shoot a deer in the vitals. I know the guns shoots 55gr Ballistic Tips 1/2 MOA all day. I will give it a try when rifle season rolls around.

kweeks10045

Good choice on that bullet. You will be very pleased. I know accuracy is not outstanding, but the insurance of a solid performing bullet is worth it. Besides, it sound like it shoots minute of deer. ;D

Don't shoot a Pig with the 75VMax, you will just make him mad!
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by kweeks10045
    Good choice on that bullet. You will be very pleased. I know accuracy is not outstanding, but the insurance of a solid performing bullet is worth it. Besides, it sound like it shoots minute of deer. ;D

The bullet is designed to BLOW UP it is a VARMINT bullet how does that make it a solid performing bullet for DEER hunting.
    There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can do math and those who can't

I wouldn't do it, Now a 70gr or bigger Nossler BT should do the job, of course as always, the subject is open for discussion! I would head or neck shoot a deer with a 243 NBT, again NOT a pig.
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster 50
    Quote Originally Posted by kweeks10045

The bullet is designed to BLOW UP it is a VARMINT bullet how does that make it a solid performing bullet for DEER hunting.
    Pretty sure he was refering to the 85 grain Partition.
    VISA loves me since I joined this site.

1Shot

Quote Originally Posted by BrentWin
    I would go with the Sierra 85gr. hpbt Gameking. Its a great deer bullet.
    ...I'll go with that or the 90gr Nosler BT...I put a 90 grainer in a doe's neck last year and it was dead before it hit the ground...

bigngreen

Not to be contrary but I have use v-max's out of my 22-250 for shooting whitetails with excellent results. I have used them out at longer ranges shooting them behind the shoulder or in the head up close. At slower speeds they go in before coming apart, the chest cavity looks like a gernade went of in there chest, they ran a few yard then piled. I generally shoot something better but thought I would give it a try and ended up shooting 5 that evening. I wouldn't want to hit one in the shoulder or at close range but they did work, there are better bullets though.

Basic Member

shot placement.

Basic Member

The 243's (using another 6mm as an example) reputation was nearly ruined because of poor bullets for deer hunting. newer bullets changed it into the effecient killer it is. The Vmax was and is a varmint bullet. The partition is a good choice. Any hunting bullet that is one MOA is excellent. Hunting in the field and shooting off a bench are two different worlds and I doubt many that take to the woods could shoot under field conditions as well as they do off the bench, myself included.

Heck, at 100yds your breathing could move the rifle 2MOA without even trying.

Good luck with the noslers.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by handirifle
    The 243's (using another 6mm as an example) reputation was nearly ruined because of poor bullets for deer hunting. newer bullets changed it into the effecient killer it is. The Vmax was and is a varmint bullet. The partition is a good choice. Any hunting bullet that is one MOA is excellent. Hunting in the field and shooting off a bench are two different worlds and I doubt many that take to the woods could shoot under field conditions as well as they do off the bench, myself included.

Heck, at 100yds your breathing could move the rifle 2MOA without even trying.

Good luck with the noslers.
    Good post I agree. BTW even with premium bullets it's NOT an Elk rifle. Ask the kid who shot a 350 class bull through the sholders only to have him run 3/4 of a mile to some other fellas and get killed DEAD with a 7mag

Basic Member

I agree with shooting off a bench and hunting are two different animals. When I shoot my hunting rifles for groups I use a harris bipod and a rear bag sometimes. I am glad my 12 twist will shoot the partitions in 1moa off a bench. Where I will be hunting with this particular rifle I have a tripod stand on the edge of a field where my farthest shot is 200 yds. I have rest built on the stand so I can get a pretty steady shot as long as I do my part. I appreciate all the info input by everyone.

Ksmirk

I shot a doe with a 55gr V-Max from a 223 in the neck at about 80 yards she went down like a bag of potatoes but ended up having to let her bleed out due to lack of penetration, the bullet left a 3 - 4 inch hole but only went in approx. 1 - 1.5 inches and that was the last time I ever used a V-Max on a deer! it made me feel like I hadn't done a good job of dispatching the critter in a human way.

I did have very good luck with the 70gr. NBT until I put a 1-8 twist on my 243 I believe it spins them too fast cause they would flat come apart on yotes so I never shot another deer with them, the 1-10 twist barrel I had they worked great. I have heard good things about the Sierra bullets I believe they are 80gr. but not for sure it's been too long I guess! good luck. Later,

Kirk