Thread: Anyone else not entirely happy with their 10 BA Stealth in 308?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I don't have the Stealth in .308 but I did purchase the 6.5 Creedmoor last May 2017. I too have had issues with the accuracy. I have been in the playground with competitive shooting for a few years now and really liked what I read about this particular rifle. I was shooting a 2" group at best so I sent it back to Savage for a warranty check up. I got it back and was told that the rifle fell inside of their tolerances. I have also tried different scopes, different factory ammo and reloads, all trying to find the rifle's sweet spot. A new barrel is my next step as well. I'd like to find a better answer but so far . . . . .

The saga continues. I got the barrel off with a Savage spec Home Depot pipe wrench, thanks to the group. What did I find when I got the barrel off? I found out that Savage had sent my replacement BA Stealth rifle with a bunch of cobbled together parts like a small shank action. You would have enjoyed my vocabulary when I tried to install my new Shilen large shank barrel:)

To give Savage credit, they did ship me a new rifle (third one's the charm). Now time to start the break in, load development, trigger install etc. all over again...

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by redneckengineer View Post
    Now time to start the break in, load development, trigger install etc. all over again...
    Being retired for over 14 years now these are the things that get me out of bed in the morning.

Headed to the range again tomorrow AM at 6:30 for some more load development on a new 30 cal 1:10 2 groove Benchmark Barrel. I live for the day I need to change a barrel and start the process over again.

I find that my firearm hobby is cheaper than Smoking, Drinking, Chasing Women, and at my age almost as satisfying.

When it comes to barrels it kind of helps to have Benchmark Barrels just 8 miles up the road from me. Two freeway exits. I get to drop in, talk over what I want in a barrel, they tell me what they'd recommend, and then I just wait for them to call me to pick it up.