I have Savages that I love, everything from a muzzle loader, model 12, 17 hmr, 22 all tricked out etc. This stealth was supposed to be the 308 tack driver. Changed stock to $200 XLR, changed to Magpul mag, and had to have Savage replace the barrel because of heat sensitivity. The new factory barrel could shoot Federal Premium Match Kings 1/2" but very finicky on all of my reloads. I'm a pretty skilled reloader and tried numerous techniques to try to resolve possible factors in that area.

Ordered a Shilen match barrel to give the project one last chance. I just went to take off the old barrel and what did I find? A smooth barrel nut? WTF is this? Did Ron Coburn leave and this company just went to sh*t? Savage developed something so ingenious with the barrel nut that this site is referred to as the brotherhood of the barrel nut and now they f'ed that up! What was wrong with the original nut that normal Savage wrenches work so well on? Now I have to order some other tool to handle a smooth barrel nut. Vista, you might want to hire Ron as a consultant!