Thread: First hunt with 178 grain A Max

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    lwink

First hunt with 178 grain A Max

Well, after much deliberation I decided to give these a go out of my 308 for some hunting application. One bullet, one very dead 125 pound sow pig. It was fairly close range, only 100 yards, but the bullet easily went completely through the top of the skull and about 1/3 of the way down through the neck (it was a straight on head down shot). Lots of bone shards all over the head/neck region, multiple fractures all over the skull, and decent carnage on the neck muscle with most of the trachea/jugular area gone. Hopefully more reports with some longer range results will follow, but at this range I wouldn't hesitate using them for pigs, dear, and similar game. I do have concerns as I couldn't find much left of the bullet, it appears to have blown apart pretty good which is not ideal for shoulder type shots or longer range hunting, but I will plan on sticking to head shots and seeing how I can push my range as opportunities arise.

Basic Member

Re: First hunt with 178 grain A Max

Well Ive had good luck as well with amaxes in 30 cal.....agreed they dont hold up very well but got the job done on a bull elk.....they are not my first choice for an elk bullet but I wouldnt hesitate to smack some deer with them.....opening day of rifle season in Idaho thought I grabbed my box with some triple shocks loaded up but later found out I had grabbed the wrong box and had my a maxes, the bullet caught the bull through the meaty part of the shoulder, missed the shoulder bone and went into the chest cavity with about a baseball sized hole and jellyfied the lungs pretty bad, took out some ribs aswell, no exit. Dont know what would of happened if I would of center punched the shoulder bone. Mine were the 168 grainers.
    I cant get enough of this stuff!