Quote Originally Posted by bigedp51 View Post
This is the part that is hard to understand, if he uses the +.008 shell holder he is not pushing the case into the die as far as he would with a standard shell holder. Meaning if something was in the chamber and using the Redding +.008 shell holder he would have a even bigger dent in the case shoulder. This case would be .008 "LONGER" in cartridge headspace after sizing and not shorter.

Bottom line how can a .008 longer case when chambered not be dented and the shorter cases are dented? I was thinking the cases were dented from over lubrication and by pushing the cases into the die .008 "less" the OP left more shoulder room for the lube.

A standard shell holder has a deck height of .125 and the +.008 shell holder would have a deck height of .133 which lowers the case in the shell holder. Meaning the case is pushed .008 "LESS" into the die making the cartridge headspace "LONGER". This Redding +.008 shell holder would be the same as placing a .008 feeler gauge on top of the shell holder and then screwing the die down until it contacts the feeler gauge.

As the saying goes, "I'm not sure I understand everything I don't know about this."
Could be it is not the shoulder but the base of the case that is the problem. Bringing the die further down on the case sizes the base.