Thread: Caliber Conundrum

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    yes and no. I know this is a savage forum but I have to agree that new howa is 6.5g is where that cartridge is right at home. I would do 6.5x47L and download it before doing a 6.5g in a savage.

trentcwwilson
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrel_slayer View Post
    yes and no. I know this is a savage forum but I have to agree that new howa is 6.5g is where that cartridge is right at home. I would do 6.5x47L and download it before doing a 6.5g in a savage.
    I'm not a fan of shouldered barrels. Too expensive to headspace.

Quote Originally Posted by trentcwwilson View Post
    I'm not a fan of shouldered barrels. Too expensive to headspace.
    Remember, one of the beauties of the barrel nut is that tightening it with the GO-Gauge in place completes the headspacing woth NO MACHINING!

Speaking of off beat or emerging cartridges, have you looked at the 6 Creedmoor?

Hornady is already producing ammunition for it and one can use the longest Bullets by going to a 7- or 8-Twist. These include the 115 gr Berger and DTAC pills. (EXCEPTION -- GS Custom offers a leadfree 106 gr thay they recommend a 6-twist.)

Might have to download 55 gr pills unless lead puffballs are a serious form of entertainment.

Barrel life should be a tad better than the 243 Winchester too.

trentcwwilson
    Quote Originally Posted by JASmith View Post
    Remember, one of the beauties of the barrel nut is that tightening it with the GO-Gauge in place completes the headspacing woth NO MACHINING!

Speaking of off beat or emerging cartridges, have you looked at the 6 Creedmoor?

Hornady is already producing ammunition for it and one can use the longest Bullets by going to a 7- or 8-Twist. These include the 115 gr Berger and DTAC pills. (EXCEPTION -- GS Custom offers a leadfree 106 gr thay they recommend a 6-twist.)

Might have to download 55 gr pills unless lead puffballs are a serious form of entertainment.

That's why I said I dislike shouldered barrels. I only use Savage style actions due to the ease of headspacing. And I've got a buddy that shoots 6CM for long range. He enjoys it. Accidentally got a case with the 308 stuff he sold me. Interesting case.

trentcwwilson
    Quote Originally Posted by JASmith View Post

I've got a friend that shoots it. I clean his brass, find it interesting, but I like the 6mmBR for efficiency.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk