I'm looking for input from reloaders who have used both dies at one time or another. I use a Redding T-7 press and a couple of months ago I acquired a Savage 10 FCP-SR 20" (.308). I've used Lee dies for a long time and have always been happy with them so that's what I've been using for this rifle during load workup. I set the shoulder back .002 and the Lee sizer gives me that plus or minus .0005 every time. The seater die gives me plus or minus .001 to .003 ogive to base. Now that I've pretty much determined the optimum load I'm getting ready to start playing around with the seating depth in small increments but I've just ordered a set of RCBS competition dies based on a demonstration, a few people I've talked to who use them and my need for a second set of dies.

The reason for a second set of dies is because I'm in the process of acquiring a new SA M1A Loaded which has National Match Barrel, sights etc. I definitely going to use the RCBS Comp seating die for the Savage but my question is whether I should also start using the RCBS sizing die on the Savage or just continue using the Lee sizer since I'm having good results with it and it's adjusted exactly where I want it. Would the RCBS sizing die offer any real advantage over the Lee for the bolt gun? Adding to my indecision is the fact that the M1A is a semi-auto and many people recommend the use of small base dies when loading for it. I plan on using mostly .308 commercial cases but I'll also be using some 7.62x51 NATO cases. Does anybody know whether the RCBS and Lee sizer both size the case to the same spec or whether the RCBS Competition sizer might size slightly smaller therefore making it preferable for the M1A?

I'm hopeful that somebody will be able to shed some light on this for me. As of now I'm leaning toward using the LEE sizer and RCBS seater for the Savage and vice versa for the M1A.

Thanks in advance for your input.

BTW, I'm also posing this question on the M14 forum.