Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Last of the 12FV?

Basic Member

Mine arrived at the store and now needs to be shipped to me in CA. Then ten days waiting for the FFL transfer process. At least it is in motion!

Mine's Ready for pickup!

Basic Member
    Good for you. Let us know how it looks and shoots!

Picked it up Friday night have scope installed probably be Monday when i take it out

Savage 12FV 308 WIN
    EGW scope base
    Burris Signature Zee Rings
    Cabela's Alpha 3-12x40 scope

Basic Member
    Looks good! That barrel sure looks long, doesn't t it?

Basic Member
    It was my understanding that the model 12FV was a Cabelas special, made only for them. I bought two when they were on sale for $349 a while back, and glad I did if it is true that they are not going to be produced any more.

Interestingly, yesterday I was in the local Gander Mountain store that is being closed as part of the re-organization, and saw a Savage model 12FV in 223 sitting on the shelf priced at $699, and I'm thinking if they can get this from wholesalers also, what with that markup it's no wonder they're on the ropes financially.

This got me thinking about a certain other gun store that only lasted 6 months around here, I won't mention the name but it had a reputation for being cheaper than...well, you know. Anyway, they were apparently paying customers to buy guns on sale at Cabelas and then sell to them, which they would then mark up and put on the floor. Couldn't get enough supply to satisfy demand from their distributors so this was their work around, or so said one of the guys I met who was actually doing the buying and selling. Hmmmmm.

I guess it's impossible to over-estimate how much Fox News influenced gun sales the last 8 years. Their constant "fake news" about gun restrictions, green tip bullets, etc, and the resultant long term panic buying it created where a much needed boost for the gun industry, and of course jobs for those otherwise unemployed. That's over now, and layoffs are happening again all around the gun industry. Sales of silencers are plummeting with word that Congress is considering passing the Hearing Protection Act. Until they do, no one wants to spend the extra coin for the permit, and if the bill languishes for a year or two, many of those manufacturers may be gone by the time it passes, ASSuming it passes, of course. More layoffs.

I wonder if Congress is capable of learning what the words "unintended consequences" means. It sure doesn't seem so.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Basic Member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Texas10 View Post

I guess it's impossible to over-estimate how much Fox News influenced gun sales the last 8 years. Their constant "fake news" about gun restrictions, green tip bullets, etc,
    Be careful now, this could be construed as fake news as well.

Not sure where the heck my rifle is. The status changed to shipped on March 22, but still no call or email for pickup.

Quote Originally Posted by sprigfan View Post
    Not sure where the heck my rifle is. The status changed to shipped on March 22, but still no call or email for pickup.
    I had a long range soft gun case that shipped on the same day. 5-8 business days for delivery on average. You could call the pickup line and check that way.

Quote Originally Posted by SageRat Shooter View Post
    I had a long range soft gun case that shipped on the same day. 5-8 business days for delivery on average. You could call the pickup line and check that way.
    Yep I checked that. Says not ready for pickup. It just seems weird to me that a firearm would be in transit for so long.

Made it out to range
    Luckily I didn't opt for 20 MOA base
    started zero at 25 yards i got it to hit dead center but I'm out of down by reading online 308 should be roughly 3 inches high at 25 yards to be close at 100

The trigger is very nice it still gets me at going off sooner then I'm expecting

Considering the 12FV hasn't been listed on the Savage website since they redid it last fall, you should have known/realized the model had been discontinued. Not sure what the MSRP was on the old 12FV's, but the current site lists an MSRP of $781 for the new 12FCV that's replacing the 12FV. You were considering converting it over to DBM anyway so this just saves you the hassle and will likely save you a little money over buying the gun as a blind mag and purchasing the parts to convert it separately.

the 12FV was a Cabelas exclusive... retailed at $420 for the last couple years. I was never able to find it on the Savage website.

Banned
    Yep

Basic Member
    Cheaper Than Dirt can't go out of business fast enough to suit me. Total gougers during the shortages and useless stores. Glad the one in McKinney didn't last long.

All I can say is I'm very proud of my 223 fv. been working on loads for a while now.

she likes 68gr hornady HPBT, 69gr SMK and 69gr TMK over VARGET.

5 shot groups @100 yds under .500 best to date is .244

these rifles are real shooters......mizzouri

Basic Member
    Glad to hear that Mizzouri, as I plan to use the 68 gn Hornady with Varget myself. I have a pretty good supply on hand, left over from shooting high power service rifle.

Richard

Basic Member
    Well I finally got my rifle last Saturday. I put a few rounds through it on Monday and was very pleased with the rifle in general, but disappointed that it didn't like my hand loads that I had for my service rifle (too hot!). I also had a box of Black Hills remanufactured 68 grain rounds that did very well. I shot just over twenty rounds and took it home and cleaned it well. It had coppered up pretty good near the muzzle, so I'm glad I quit when I did.

I went back today with more hand loads, this time with 69 gn SMK and did a broad range of loads. The sweet spot seems to be right where the Sierra manual said was good in their testing. So, I've loaded some more and will be back Monday for further testing.

I have a Harrid bipod on it and I'm shooting mostly prone. I don't see the need to do anything with this rifle, other than shoot it and clean it. What a great little gun!

Richard

Basic Member
    Seems like the 12FV's are liking the heavier pills. Mine as well likes the 69 SMK hand loads, and it shot quite well with the Australian Outback 69SMK and the Black Hills 68's.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12