When I start out to build a Wildcat, I start at the beginning. Check out what's been said about that round or something close to it. My goal is to pull the trigger and see the bullet making holes on the target. As far as accuracy, every one of my rigs will make a five shot group that can be covered with a dime. If it isn't that accurate, I'll loose interest real fast. Funny thing is, if it is that accurate, I tend to move on to something else anyway.
The 17 VHA was a starting point BUT, I got sidetracked when I started playing with the TCM. The 20 VT"short" was/is a learning experience. Making brass was a real PITA!! The TCM brass took care of 99.99% of the forming problems.
I'll build a dummy round to the specs that I want then ship it off and have a reamer cut to those specs. That way, there's no excuse about getting the specs that I want. Each reamer is cut with zero freebore. I learned a long time ago that the throat will wear faster than I want on most chambers so I go zero and can go to heavier bullets as it wears. That way I can jam into the lands. Nothing worse than trying to reach the lands with your favorite bullet and not have enough bullet contact in the neck. We learn as we go or that's the way it's suppose to be??
The VHA got put aside while I got involved with the TCM. Had PT&G cut me a couple of bolt heads without a ejector rod for the VHA. And I build on Savage actions. All set up as single shots or dedicated single shot Models.
If you've got any questions, just ask. All of us need to share our experience, good or bad. I've found that some of the bad experience just HAS TO BE TRIED by some folks to see for myself. Tough going sometimes but at least you can say "been there, tried that".
I still have my VHA and my TCM reamers. I had a reamer cut for the 20 VT. It was cut with a .234 neck and zero freebore. .234 neck so no neck turning was needed. Worked like a champ!! Put it up for sale and Eddie Harren jumped on that one. Only cut one chamber with it.
I ship my work off to NY so I don't do any Smithing/chamber work except spin the barrels on and build the rigs the way I want them. Barrels and bolt head swaps are almost a daily thing. Buying barrels and getting them chambered takes the most time. I've learned to be very patient and the work I get back is nothing but the best. I have found that the price of reamers has gone up in the last few years. Use to get a custom reamer for $150.00 but now, $200.00 is closer to cost. And the wait time can be looong. That's where the "patience" comes it, Mike.