Ok, so I took the advise from you guys. I'm selling my 270 WSM 16 weather warrior to build a new rifle on a 4.40" based short action to fit my stock. I'm planning to go with a 270 WSM build since I already invested in bullets, dies powder, and primers... a few hundred dollars worth. Anyway, I have a few more questions now that I have the action and stock set.

I will need a new bolt head. I was going to go with PTG for a magnum bolt head and the SSS extractor. Will this combination work? The bolt head on my current rifle looks nothing like the picture on the PTG website, but they say it's a drop-in.

Next, I'm going to go with an X-Caliber barrel blank in 270. Any issues with X-Caliber I should know about? I can get a Shilen for the same price, but the X-Caliber has 5R rifling and Shilen doesn't. X-Caliber also doesn't have the wait. I have a buddy just getting started as a smithing business who said he would do my action and build a barrel for $100.

I will be getting a nut and recoil lug from NSS.

Anything I'm missing?

I've got a 20 MOA Leupold Mark 4 rail and a Steiner T5i 5-25x56 scope in a Larue mount waiting for some action! Plan on using this rifle for everything the PNW has to offer (bear, elk, deer, etc...I'll probably never draw for moose).