It's funny how long it took for me to learn that lesson. Big bore shooting every week tends to cull the weaker designs off the top of the rifle. I found that the Millett TRS1 is built like a tank and holds up to everything I own. I was tough coughing up the extra $100 at first but now I've got 3 of them, two on 54r rifles and one on a .308. Then last year I bought a used Leupold 24x with tall turrets and fine crosshairs, I figure it was from the 60's/70's. The turrets had been switched by some previous owner so not only were windage and elevation knobs marked wrong but the adjustment directions were reversed. I sent it back to Leupold and they not only switched the turrets back but also replaced a lens and a damaged retaining ring, adjusted the optics and sent it back at no cost to me. I've moved the scope around to a few different rifles, still trying to pick the best home for it. My last two scope purchases were Sightron 8-32x 56's, both on my two Savages (.308 10FCP-K and .223 12FV).