Bottom line is go over to Shilen and get a 6.5 in a heavy hunter contour and then go shoot it.

I will do a bullet point assessment:

Its a light weight barrel, when it gets hot its going to wander. One shot is hot.

Very regimented cooling off of 3 to 5 minutes between each shots would be required and it may still wander.

Your inside a quarter is only doable with a very good barrel that is cooled off of that profile.

Savage obviously is decent, its going amazingly well for what you are asking for it, but its not a great barrel, its a hunting barrel.

This barrel is intended for no more than 3 accurate shots and then a complete cool down. Maybe two.

My challenge this year is to see if I can get a pencil 270 barrel to shoot.

It will be hand loads.

A couple years back my brother had 6 different factory loads for a Finnbear Sako 270 (they did not come any better in the day) and he was getting 2.5 inches with it (and its not a pencil barrel)

Hand loads got him down to 1 1/4 and that is probably the best ic an do. Maybe with more work 1 inch.

And regardless, if it does that then we are more than good, its a hunting rifle not a target rifle.

I hunted with a gun that was 1.5 inch at 100. Never missed anything but once (the one bad one was my fault not the guns)