Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tractor question - hydrostatic drive or shuttle-shift reliability

Basic Member

be very careful carrying loads up front,a great many people have been crippled or killed when they lifted the load too high and it rolled down the loader arms directly to rest on or clean the operator from the tractor.

Quote Originally Posted by racer55 View Post
    be very careful carrying loads up front,a great many people have been crippled or killed when they lifted the load too high and it rolled down the loader arms directly to rest on or clean the operator from the tractor.
    I will be using logging chains and skid grapples attached to the bucket to keep the logs low.
    Rick_W
    CPO-USN(Ret)
    You don't know what you don't know.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by racer55 View Post
    That's very good advice. A load carried high will also make the tractor very top heavy and prone to overturn. Small tractors can be dangerous little buggers.

I bought a KIOTI 24 hp a couple of years ago. 24 month bumper to bumper and 48 on drive train. So far I haven't had to claim anything and I have abused the heck out of it at my new lease. I did find a small issue with one of the hydraulic cylinders on the bucket that was fixed when I bought it. Brush hogging constantly, disking food plots, building and repairing roads with the bucket and a drag blade. It literally hasn't stopped. I was real skeptical at first with the hydro-static tyranny but I fell in love with it, brush hogging and building roads. Fast forward and reverse was the best, a lot better than a clutch system. I grew up farming a drove a lot of different brands, sizes and types of tractors. This one by far is the most comfortable to operate. Would it replace a 4020JD, Cadillac in the 70's, no. It isn't designed for it but for its size, it is a work horse. About the biggest problem with it, even though it is a 4 wheel drive, it does get stuck. I believe it has to do with the smaller diameter tires in the front. I guess it wasn't designed to replace the Jeep either.
    Last edited by mousemotors; 04-06-2017 at 03:16 PM.
    GLC

Basic Member
    [QUOTE=Rick_W;403413]In my continuing research I stumbled upon a web site with a calculator that will allow you to get an estimate of the weight of a tree

Depending upon the type of tree, they could be valuable left as they are.
    Contact a logging outfit and ask the question before just cutting them.
    A saw mill could be helpful also and could no doubt recommend a logger.
    The county agriculture dept might also be helpful with free information before you just willy nilly start whacking away at things.
    To give you an example, about 1970 I purchased 14.5 acres of wooded property for $3500 in the mountains of NC PA.
    I have had the trees select cut, meaning just some, on 2 separate occaisions which returned more than my original cost of the land.
    I also donated enough Hemlock trees to rebuild a covered bridge in Bucks co, for which I received a tax credit.
    And I'm now in a position to have it select cut again, so trees can be a valuable thing to have.
    You might also be able to have it cut into lumber for your own use.
    There are people with small portable saw mill setups who would do that.
    Even soft pine has many uses, such as interior window and door trim etc.

edit to reflect that land is actually about 17.5 acres, but a few acres are on the opposite side of a road
    and didn't enter into much of the lumber harvest.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12