"SH", You've been around here long enough to know many of us like to use lamp rod for pillars, and it works very well. I have done pillars just about every way it can be done. As for the options listed in post #2, I like the standard Savage pillars best, especially for the front pillar. When done properly, it comes out very solid. The down side to the Savage pillars is they require counter boring to accommodate the two diameters. And it is a different process to pillar and bed at the same time, but I have not found that to be an advantage or necessary. Also, depending on the stock depth, the rear Savage pillar is not always long enough, requiring washers to be stacked under the trigger guard to make full metal contact all the way up. And because there is so little material at the back pillar hole, I like that pillar to be as thin as possible.

So, the last laminated stock I did, I think came out the best of all. I used the stock Savage pillar for the front and lamp rod for the back.

But I will also say this. I have a Stockys laminate sporter that has My 250 Savage installed in it. It is so accurate I "could" use it effectively in competition. "But it is not glass or pillar bedded, and it has the plastic front insert".