Went to the shop with cleaning rod and patches. Wanted to make sure there would be no nasty surprises. Her muzzle looked a bit sketchy, and I was a bit worried.
Nothing to worry about. The bore was powder fouled, but surprisingly for a Savage, copper free. The muzzle just had a bunch of gun case fuzz in it. Whew! Gave her a quick once over to make sure that in my shock over discovering her, I hadn't overlooked anything important. She really wasn't shot or carried much. Whatever the reason, it's good for me!
Given that she didn't copper foul, I am SO hoping I can get good work from cast bullets. As the 200 grain Core Lokts aren't available for reloaders, I figure, out to 150 yards, I can do as well with cast. Maybe a bit better... It would also be an additional level of satisfaction when kneeling next to a plump tasty... Oh. The damper thingy. Apparently it puts a bit if rearward pressure in the slide and keeps it from rattling. I gave her a good shake, with the action cocked, and unlocked ,and no rattle.
Can't wait to pick her up!