Quote Originally Posted by Scott Evans View Post
There is one of the common straight wall open top pistol body dies that works really good for body resizing back to .468 or less, sorry but can't remember which one (45ACP?). 308/243/6BR etc. resizes the base only. The info is out there.
Recheck your case OAL after using a small body die, they cause significant length growth, .005"-.010" on a 223 case.
Imperial sizing wax highly recommended for this operation.
I asked my question in three different reloading forums to find out what dies worked the best with machine gun brass. At the CMP forum using a 30-06 die and the .45 acp die were mentioned and the .45 acp die did not size as far down as far as the 30-06 die. But there can be a concentricity issues using these dies because the case in not fully supported. I tried both the 30-06 and .45acp carbide die after I got the .308 small base die and after getting the small base die using the other dies were pointless.

Now all I have to do is do some loading and see if saving money buying the Lake City brass was worth all the effort sizing and uniforming the cases. I will say the neck thickness was more uniform on the Lake City than two new bags of Winchester .308 cases.

Prior to this I had been buying bulk once fired Lake City 5.56 brass and all of it was sized first with a small base die. Thereafter I use a standard .223 full length die for my AR15 and Savage .223.

But again, resizing dies and chambers do vary in size and noting is written stone when it comes to sizing brass.