Thread: I need lots of help on my 99E Mad Dog

Basic Member

I need lots of help on my 99E Mad Dog

From reading 22 pages of posts here, I figured out that I have a mix master 99e. Currently it has the birch pistol grip stock with the plastic buttplate, impressed checkering, etc and the forearm is a muddy brown that doesn't match the butt. I can't make out the date code on the lever boss, even using a 10X lighted magnifying glass and my reading glasses.

I want to replace the screws for the forearm and get a metal buttplate for it, where's a good source for parts? Numrich?

I'd like to get it looking good so I was going to restock it but wanted to make sure that what I order will fit it correctly.

Here's the gun:
    [img width=600 height=450]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/Guns/DSC01065.jpg[/img]

Here's the forearm:
    This looks short to me. Are all the forearm bosses in the same location? I'd like to get a schnabel forearm but this also looks like it has a lightweight barrel, is this an issue with restocking?
    [img width=600 height=450]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/Guns/DSC01066.jpg[/img]

Frank

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

Basic Member

Re: I need lots of help on my 99E Mad Dog

No love?
    Frank

Basic Member

Your rifle looks like most of the 99e's that I seen. You can order wood but might be stuck with model e wood. I think the plastic but plate is standard I doubt another model will fit. You can order custom wood from Boyds rifle stocks or Richards Micro-fit and maybe get different styles. You could make a metal butt plate if you take your time and go slow. If you can find someone with a 60s stock, not a featherweight, try changing the wood and see how it fits. You can try the same thing with older EG wood, you don't have much to lose.

Basic Member

Thanks, On the fore arm, will all the wood shapes fit as long as I get it for the 22" lightweight barrel?
    Frank

Eric in NC

http://www.gunstocksinc.com/

Far from "drop in" fit but they do have dimensioned drawings and you can call and get help etc.

Doesn't take me long to make one of their stocks fit a 99 (an Ithaca Flues is another story!) and the amount of time finishing it is up to you (sand and poly or do an oil finish, etc.).

And no - not all forearm screws are in the same place (two different locations for solid frames and two different ones for takedowns if I recall).

Basic Member

Thanks Eric, I'm assuming that they can spec me the correct forearm if I give them the measurement from the center of the threaded boss and the front of the action.

I'll probably buy a new stock set and fit it myself. Nothing could go wrong with that! ;D
    Frank

Eric in NC

They have the dimensions for the various configs (barrel profile and distance from boss to front of action) on the page, but they have always been helpful when I called (another husband and wife shop).

Can also make you a laminated stock for it if you want or fancy walnut etc.

Don't know who makes a metal plate - should be able to fit a "generic" matal plate from brownells if you are doing a new stock. If I was doing a new stock (not too worried about "orginal" appearance since it is a new stock) I would look at the thin solid red pads like Galazan offers (midway, brownells have them).

Basic Member

Thanks again Eric. I'm going to try to strip, stain and refinish that old buttstock since it looks like someone already did it once.
    Frank

Eric in NC

Well just be sure not to sand it...

If you are fine with the type of stock it is (don't want the old-style "long" forearm) and ok with pressed checkering, then e-gunparts will probably set you up just fine for a new one.

Basic Member

Im sure glad mine dont have the butt ugly pressed 'checkering'.

Jim K

Relative to finding replacement screws and possibilty a metal butt plate, you might also try Jack First, Inc. I have catalogs from both Numrich and Jack First and they show the parts, but my catalogs are old so not sure the parts are still available. The last time I tried to run down parts for some of my guns on their Internet site they showed the parts I needed as "Sold Out".

Jim K

Basic Member

Thanks again guys.
    Frank