Thread: i think i really messed up

Basic Member

i think i really messed up

While I am waiting on my barrel to arrive (long time) I just had to bed the pillars to the stock using devcon steel putty. Couldn't wait do do something. Then I got to thinking (days later) they could be off center and I sat my action in and tightened the screws. Sure enough it is ever so slightly canted to one side. The action is Not bedded yet. Is this something I could fix by bedding the action level or will it be ok. Or have I totally messed this wood stock up?

Re: i think i really messed up

you can fix it.
    worst case you have to grind a piller down a bit before you bed the whole action with the devcon. it will be just as solid.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

davemuzz

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Avenger
    you can fix it.
    worst case you have to grind a piller down a bit before you bed the whole action with the devcon. it will be just as solid.
    Yeah. I agree 100%. You haven't "Screwed the pooch". You may have to grind the post down a bit if it's off center.....but that's no big deal. Once you bed it with Davcon (the peanut butter consistency type) it will be as solid as a Johnny Carson marriage! ;D HA!! Just kiddin! (Only old guys will get that) You will be good to go!

The last Davcon bedding I did...it had factory pillers in it.....and they were off center!!!.....So, don't feel bad and don't be concerned about it.

Dave

Basic Member

Thanks for the advice guys. I will just try to center it best I can. Got to thinking as long as I get the stock and scope level with the bore it should not matter. This is my first build so I now know to bed the pillars with the action.