Not an everyday one, really, but seems like it would be fun. I have a Mod 11 LH bolt, currently 223 but thinking of putting my 243 barrel on it, and thinking of some sort of chassis for the stock. Lots of reasons for the 243, main one being, it's what I have for a barrel, and dies, bullets, etc. Some of the other calibers seem fun, but no desire or funds to change EVERYTHING, barrel, stock, dies etc.

I looked at the Savage Stealth and it's way out of my budget. Also a 243 with something like a 105gr match bullet will fill the bill nicely for any "long range" shooting I will ever do. So there, caliber isn't really a discussion topic. I MIGHT eventually rebarrel it to a faster twist, for higher BC bullets, but that would be it.

My rifle is stagger feed, so who makes a REASONABLY priced chassis for this model? One with detachable mag. I have to add I really don't like the look of the stealth. I do like the look of the ones where the barrel shroud seems to flow straight off the receiver, better than others.

I have not ruled out the possibility of building my own. I am not a machinist, so that would be a challenge but I have ideas in my head. I can braze aluminum, but not sure if it's strong enough. Might depend on design there. I can braze or weld steel, if I went with thin light weight steel.

Here's what I had in mind, if I can't find a commercial one I like AND could afford (fixed income kinda thing). I am thinking a V (angle) to bed the receiver, with the angle welded to tubing that surrounds the receiver. The angle can be heavier to take the force of recoil at the lug, and the welded tubing would allow the stock bolts to go through it into the receiver.

The tubing would have to be milled (somehow) to allow for the bolt operation, and removal, and the angle and tubing would have to be recessed to allow for the magazine to feed through it as well. Ideally, I would be able to thread the front of the tubing to accept an AR style barrel shroud or something resembling one.

Then there are the grip, trigger, and stock. I THINK this is doable, but not sure.

I saw on the web, somewhere where a guy is machining his own, but he is way above me in skills. His looks professional. Mine, if I do it, would look serviceable.

Anyway, DIY is only a thought, obviously buying is easier, just not sure if it's affordable, for me. Some of them just do not look too complicated.

Living here in Kalifornia makes an AR version VERY difficult to even consider, too many restrictions. I KNOW I do not want an AR-10 version, too heavy and bulky, and as I said, I already have the bolt gun.

I have searched the net, a bit, for a chassis, still don't see anything close to my price range (under $500, way under preferred) that I like the look of.

Also, for a DIY, what magazines seem to work best and are readily available?