Thread: Newbie's first build: Model 14, lefty

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Newbie's first build: Model 14, lefty

Folks,

Newbie Mawgie here. I just joined the Brotherhood of the Barrel Nut, and am grateful for all the information here. I am in the middle of my first build, and will update this thread with pics for those interested.

Our surgical candidate is a really nice example of a left hand .308 WIN Model 14 American Classic, Accutrigger/walnut/blued. I am the original owner, but have never been thrilled with walnut/blued as a finish combination. (I had few lefty choices when I bought the gun.) After a brief period of mourning at the prospect of tearing into such a nice traditional deer rifle, I started ordering stuff, and away we go. My changes will include: new stock, pillar bedding, action bedding, Duracoat the metal, new bolt handle, new scope. (I have no professional affiliation with any of the companies/products I will mention in this thread. My thoughts are only to try and help members of the Brotherhood making choices similar to those I have made.)

To begin, after much research, I purchased a left hand Boyd's Prairie Hunter stock, fully inletted, laminate, pepper, with the Boyd's adjustable comb and a grind to fit Limbsaver pad installed. Ordering from Boyd's was easy using their online configurator, and the stock was delivered less than 2 weeks after I ordered it. Well packed. Here is a picture of the original gun disassembled, with the minty fresh new stock.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Savage.01.JPG