Just joined the site and am a first time Savage owner. I just picked up a 99 in 308 win at a local gun show. In trying to research the gun and the serial number/date of manufacture, I became a little confused so maybe someone can help me out here. It looks to be a newer gun probably from the '80's or 90's. It is a 99E series A serial # E141128. Everything I have read about the 99E is that it was an economy model with a plain stock and has no shell counter. Mine has what looks to be a factory monte carlo beautiful fancy walnut stock with a cheek rest and forearm with pressed checkering and it has a shell counter. I was made in Westfield, Mass. The serial number doesn't come up anywhere either as most seem to have an additional digit. Also, it has no boss code. Maybe very good records weren't kept on the newer 99's, I don't know. Can someone educate me on this model and possibly a manufacturing date? I really like the gun and will probably look for another one in the future, maybe in 243.