Thread: ring height recommendations

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    The scope bases (picatinny rail) vary in thickness. I have some steel bases that are 1/8" lower than an Aluminum base. Using the steel base with a high Burris signature z ring was the same as the aluminum base with a Burris medium height ring. Also a Burris medium is the same height as a Warne low ring. To make it more confusing Burris measures their rings differently than other manufacturers. I suggest you buy your base and rings from a seller that allows returns.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratbuster View Post
    I suggest you buy your base and rings from a seller that allows returns.
    I'll be buying both the base and the rings from my local Cabelas store... I think they'll be understanding if I buy Low and Med rings with a Steel 20 MOA rail and just bring back the one that doesn't work... I hope so anyway!!

Thanks again guys... I like doing things right the first time, so much stuff I've learned on this site in just a few weeks.

LH Savage 11/111 LA
    Criterion 260 Rem Match Varmint @ 25"-- still 10+ weeks out from NSS
    Boyds Coyote Laminate Pro Varmint
    Sightron SIII 6-24x50 FFP MOA-2 Reticle--- on the way!!

Will probably add a brake down the road, but not until I've shot it a bit... With as much $ as I'm putting into her, I sure hope she will shoot at least 1 MOA @ 1000 yards.

Basic Member
    WOW, sounds like a sweet build you got going there. please post up some pictures when your done and let us know how she shoots. i have read nothing but steelier reviews on Criterion barrels but mainly for AR15's since that's more of my thing. i just put together my first long range bolt gun set up but its more budget oriented using a savage 11VT in 308 from DSG and a choate stock to see if i like it or not.

cabela's should let you return the rings you don't use but also consider amazon because they take pretty much anything back and they will probable beat cabela's price too. and just so you know i got my 20 moa weaver rail off amazon for $25.90 not bad i thought.

i have a brake on my AR10 that works really well if your interested they are on sale for almost half price right now. and should be the same thread as your barrel but is your barrel black or is it stainless ? it is made out of stainless steel but nitrated black.

if interested look here: http://www.schuylerarmsco.com/product.vg6-gamma-762-993

and i definitely think she will be a great shooter!