Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Case head seperation?

The bulge can also be that the sizing die did not size that part of the case. I see this with 243w 260r 7-08r 308w and many others.

Your chamber is generous around the head and the sizing die doesn't reach all the way down the case, hence why there is a lil bulge, but it's not dangerous.

Like others said, cut a piece of brass down the middle with a dremel and check for brass thinning above the head.

If I missed any of this my apologies. Just a few questions.

Is this an aftermarket barrel? Does it have a large chamfer leading into the chamber on the barrel breach? Do you have a picture of the fired brass with bulges? Is the chamber gauge standoff more than say .150"? Have you taken a dial caliper and compared the mouth of the chamber dimension with a SAAMI chamber drawing?

Look around page 83

http://saami.org/specifications_and_...FR.pdf#page=13

Should be in the ballpark of .471 plus or minus....
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    I shot about 50 rounds through my .243 today with new Winchester brass. I measured the headspace before and after and saw not growth in the headspace. I was below the load max stated by Sierra but still see the little ring starting to appear just above the case head.

I shot the best group I have ever shot with this rifle today. It was a four shot group that measured 0.450" with new brass. 85 grain SBT over 37.2 grains of IMR4320. Then a second best group of 0.600" with a 100 SBT over 40.5 grains of IMR4350. Best groups to date with this little bone stock savage.

Basic Member
    Congratulations, gunrack! That's good progress and definitely "minute of deer" accuracy, and the reason we love to hand load.

In case your interested, the load I've worked up in my 243 with a 22 inch, 9.25 twist "pencil" barrel is 87 grain V-Max at .012 off the lands, 43.5 grains of IMR-4831, CCI-250, and Winchester brass. Haven't quite got it completely tuned, it's shooting well, just not as well as yours.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas10 View Post
    Congratulations, gunrack! That's good progress and definitely "minute of deer" accuracy, and the reason we love to hand load.

In case your interested, the load I've worked up in my 243 with a 22 inch, 9.25 twist "pencil" barrel is 87 grain V-Max at .012 off the lands, 43.5 grains of IMR-4831, CCI-250, and Winchester brass. Haven't quite got it completely tuned, it's shooting well, just not as well as yours.
    I just had a good day. A minute of deer is all I really need but you know how it is. we always want them little bitty groups. I feel more confident knowing that the rifle is more capable than I when I get ready to take a shot. Days at the range for me don't happen like that very often. I may never shoot another one like that but I have put in a lot of work on loads on this little rifle. I will make a note of that load you suggested and give a shot some time. I love to tinker with new loads but it sure gets aggravating sometimes. I haven't got enough hair left to keep pulling on it the way I have been lately. LOL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12