Thread: Pillars and Boyd's Stocks

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Team Savage
    Hope everybody had a Merry Christmas.

Have been doing pillars for years, I use spacers I buy from McMaster-Carr. Still call it a PITA. I do mine in 2 stages and then cut the recess on the back pillar and then remove material and bed. Still call it a PITA. I use a drill press and agree with Texas10. Can't imagine doing it without one. Still call it a PITA. Always being careful to make sure the back pillar it the right length to completely fill the space between steel trigger guard and the action. Still call it a PITA.

Did I tell you, I still call it a PITA.

Happy New Year.

Bill

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bsekf View Post

Have been doing pillars for years, I use spacers I buy from McMaster-Carr. Still call it a PITA. I do mine in 2 stages and then cut the recess on the back pillar and then remove material and bed. Still call it a PITA. I use a drill press and agree with Texas10. Can't imagine doing it without one. Still call it a PITA. Always being careful to make sure the back pillar it the right length to completely fill the space between steel trigger guard and the action. Still call it a PITA.

Happy New Year.

Bill
    I had a nice Christmas.

I gather you feel rather strongly this operation is a PITA? I sure hope you don't do any over the Holidays!

Basic Member

Happy New Year.

Bill
    I tried to follow your post but I'm not sure how you feel about installing pillars
    If possible could you please try to clarify.

Basic Member

Happy New Year.

Bill
    You confirmed what I suspected. You ARE doing it the wrong way. Just cut the pillars to length, bolt them in place with screws which have heads smaller than the OD of the pillars, and then bed everything at once. EASY.