Quote Originally Posted by bsekf View Post
Sure wish Boyd's would install pillars, it would be so easy for them. Pretty easy to enlarge barrel channels and do skim bedding.... but the pillars are a PIA.

I use spar urethane inside and out to finish them, about 10+ coats with scotch brite between coats. If I get a sag, I sand it out. What do you use?

Bill
Perhaps you're doing it the hard way. Pillar bedding, other than making the pillars, is no trouble at all and nothing associated with pillar bedding is difficult or a PITA. Follow normal bedding procedures with these possible changes/additions.

Do the pillars when you bed the action, but don't "skim" bed if by that you mean using a thin layer of Devcon 10110 over the factory Boyd's inletting. Remove enough wood to get a 50 or 60 thou. thick layer of bedding compound, more around the recoil lug.

Get some 1/8 brass pipe nipples (longer is cheaper) and cut two pieces, square up the ends as you trim to length. Wrap tape around two temporary actions screws with socket heads (Allen head) so that the screws center up on the pillars. Or turn down the heads of two ordinary action screws so that the diameter of the head is less than the outside diameter of the pillar. Enlarge the stock to accept the pillars and use a Dremel tool (or small drill bit) to gouge the holes bit to provide a mechanical grip for the Devcon 10110 where it surrounds the pillars. Degrease, sand, and scar up the pillars for a good chemical and mechanical bond. Wax everything else, but keep the pillars clean. But make sure to wax the screws, their threads, and the tape around the bolts.

Goober up the stock with Devcon 10110 and get plenty down in the pillar holes. Coat the action with Devcon too. Follow normal procedures for bedding. Replace the temporary actions screws with normal screws and bottom metal. Some people bed the bottom metal as a separate step, but I usually bed bottom metal.