Thread: Heavy barrel?

Basic Member

Heavy barrel?

Do any of the aftermarket barrel manufacturers offer a Savage pre-fit barrel at or over 1.125" dia.? I want to build a varmint bench gun as heavy as possible.

I think the largest that Criterion makes is 1" in diameter in a Bull barrel.
    GLC

Barrel nut won't fit. That.is.the reason you don't see them.

You would have.to install the.barrel like a conventional rifle. Then you would have to finish ream it to headspace.

I am sure you could do it but that defeats the reason to buy a.savage.

Banned
    Do they take the threads further back and then have a big hump ?

1.125 seems pretty common, wondered if the mfg do the Savage contour when they advertise. Seems to be the cut rifled guys, probably won't get one but some curiosity.

Shilen and Criterion both have 1" at muzzle Savage pre-fit bulls. Any larger needs to be a custom gunsmithing creation.

The difference between 1" and 1.125" doesn't sound like much even tho it probably is. And the 1" ones are plenty heavy IMO.

If you have a large shank receiver you can have someone contour and chamber a barrel up to 1.120" and still keep the barrel nut.
    Small shank max is 1.055" unless you ditch the barrel nut and again a custom contour and chambering job.

Basic Member
    I have had 3 or 4 set to shoulder larger than that but yes it defeats the purpose of a Savage. You could also get crazy with a custom nut but once again, whats the point?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero333 View Post
    Shilen and Criterion both have 1" at muzzle Savage pre-fit bulls. Any larger needs to be a custom gunsmithing creation.

The difference between 1" and 1.125" doesn't sound like much even tho it probably is. And the 1" ones are plenty heavy IMO.

If you have a large shank receiver you can have someone contour and chamber a barrel up to 1.120" and still keep the barrel nut.
    Small shank max is 1.055" unless you ditch the barrel nut and again a custom contour and chambering job.
    Zero333: Can you tell me which barrel mfg will do a barrel at 1.12" (large shank)? Thanks.

Phil

Basic Member
    E.R. Shaw will make that barrel in either 1.125 bull or 1.25 heavy bull barrel. My son has a 24 inch bull on a Rem. 700 that shoots better than .5 inches and has shot .25 inches before. Only thing, there is a wait to receive a custom made barrel.. Took 3 months to get it...