Quote Originally Posted by Randyc View Post
S3silver
i have a .284 barrel I san screw on this rifle, how much more velocity could I get from the .284 and what kind of pressures will I see?
Pressures ok for a savage short action?
Not sure about a SA, but you should be able to achieve ~ 100 fps more than the 7mm-08. The 284 is kind of the in between the 7mm-08 and 7 rem mag and very similar to the 7x57 and 280 rem. I wanted a 7mm-08 for a long time (and still do), but after long hours of research I went with the 284. Here's the spec on mine and ~ velocties I was seeing.

Savage 111 LA, previously 30-06 (round count unknown, older action with no accutrigger)
26" green mountain barrel, longer throat (3.125" coal with 162 amax) by Jim @ Apache
Winchester brass, neck sized, ~8-9 loadings, still have tight primer pockets, nothing special done to brass, no sorting, just load and shoot.
CCI 200

My loads (remember this is for my rifle. Reduce by at least 10% and work up in yours):

Current load: H4350, 50.6 gr, 162 amax or bthp (both shoot exactly the same with same poi - lucky me), ~ 2850 fps, consistently .5 moa or less, with good days at .25 moa. Most of my groups are done at 200 + meters, meaning at 100 yards, they are literally one hole groups. Bolt lift fine, slightly flat primers, but it shoots so well I stuck with it. 800+ rounds with no issues with action or brass.

H4831, 56.5gr, 162gr eld-m, half moa at 200 meters. Still trying to dial this load in as H4350 is so hard to find right now. Haven't shot this over the chrono, but should be about 2850 fps (that's what I recall from previous load workup when I first built the rifle).

RL17, 53.5gr, 162 gr amax/ bthp, was getting ~ 2950 fps from previous load work up. Bolt lift ok, brass ok, slightly flat primer. Shot .75 - 1 moa, but didn't try to fine tune it. Found it to be a little touchy in my rifle when doing load workup. Fast shooting powder though. May have to re-visit this powder when my H stock runs dry. From my limited use of this powder, I have seen a good 50-100 fps increase over H4350 and H4831. Also noticed it is more sensitive to temp changes.

Sorry for the long winded post, but hope you found it useful. As always with reloading start low and work up carefully.