Thread: newbie with 12FV, so many questions...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I don't really like the egw bases for savage because with the place I set my scope the front bell hits the front of the rail if I don't hack a bit off the rail. That is using any of the swfa fixed power scopes and low swfa rings. I've since started buying the $57 NF rail and dont have the same issue.

Higher rings would have fixed the issue but then I would have needed a add on cheek rest to line up on it.

As for actions the easy way to look at it is 10,11,12,16 are all pretty much the same action with a different finish and bolt cosmetics.

The actions that are actually different are the pta and possibly the lrp.

I think that's correct

Basic Member
    Thank you for your answers, they have been a big help. I'll keep this thread going as I figure this stuff out. I spent hours on the Savage web site trying to understand these things, but it turns out that only partly prepares you for going into a big box store where they get their own custom models. I bought this at Cabela's, but I was in a Dick's Sporting goods and they also appeared to have special models. So I was going to go back there and do some more looking, it is nearby.

Wide Glide, I placed my order about 5 minutes before I saw your comment, but you reminded me that SWFA (swfa.com) sold their own rings so I put in a second order for them. They didn't have the Burris rings in short. I actually landed up calling SWFA this morning because I saw something else that concerned me on my order and I would like to say they were *very* helpful. The nice lady told me she would walk out back and repackage my 2 orders into one box and credit me the extra shipping. I chose their scope because it seems to have a reputation for being extremely reliable with a focus on that reliability more than features. One review said you could put it in your freezer and then drop it on a cement floor and it would hold it's zero, he actually did this .

Breeze, I used those numbers to figure out the heights and it looks like the Burris (sig) zee low rings would fit fine.

Darkker, thanks for the extra long answer. I will try to figure out what I have. I see now after spending more time looking at rails last night that they make a distinction for "F-Class" as opposed to other Model 10 style Savage rifles. I also see Savage "target actions" for sale at some of the web sites. My guess right now is that they only come in Model 12 rifles, but not all Model 12 rifles have these actions? I can't tell yet if "target action" only applies to single shot versions or if they include magazine versions too. I have seen target actions for sale that take a magazine but maybe they are standard Model 10 units? I am sure this confusion comes from the Savage marketing dept. not the engineers, sigh.

I know that at my skill level these things don't make a difference, but I still want to understand all this. In general an action that didn't have a big hole for a magazine would be stronger and stiffer. So I don't know if it's fundamentally different or not, but it is different. In my mind, an action that was made from thicker metal would be basically the same, use the same parts etc., but would be stronger while still being fundamentally the same.

Wide Glide, does "pta" mean Palma Target Action? What does Palma mean?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by upinthehills View Post
    Thank you for your answers, they have been a big help. I'll keep this thread going as I figure this stuff out. I spent hours on the Savage web site trying to understand these things, but it turns out that only partly prepares you for going into a big box store where they get their own custom models. I bought this at Cabela's, but I was in a Dick's Sporting goods and they also appeared to have special models. So I was going to go back there and do some more looking, it is nearby.

Wide Glide, I placed my order about 5 minutes before I saw your comment, but you reminded me that SWFA (swfa.com) sold their own rings so I put in a second order for them. They didn't have the Burris rings in short. I actually landed up calling SWFA this morning because I saw something else that concerned me on my order and I would like to say they were *very* helpful. The nice lady told me she would walk out back and repackage my 2 orders into one box and credit me the extra shipping. I chose their scope because it seems to have a reputation for being extremely reliable with a focus on that reliability more than features. One review said you could put it in your freezer and then drop it on a cement floor and it would hold it's zero, he actually did this .

Breeze, I used those numbers to figure out the heights and it looks like the Burris (sig) zee low rings would fit fine.

Darkker, thanks for the extra long answer. I will try to figure out what I have. I see now after spending more time looking at rails last night that they make a distinction for "F-Class" as opposed to other Model 10 style Savage rifles. I also see Savage "target actions" for sale at some of the web sites. My guess right now is that they only come in Model 12 rifles, but not all Model 12 rifles have these actions? I can't tell yet if "target action" only applies to single shot versions or if they include magazine versions too. I have seen target actions for sale that take a magazine but maybe they are standard Model 10 units? I am sure this confusion comes from the Savage marketing dept. not the engineers, sigh.

I know that at my skill level these things don't make a difference, but I still want to understand all this. In general an action that didn't have a big hole for a magazine would be stronger and stiffer. So I don't know if it's fundamentally different or not, but it is different. In my mind, an action that was made from thicker metal would be basically the same, use the same parts etc., but would be stronger while still being fundamentally the same.

Wide Glide, does "pta" mean Palma Target Action? What does Palma mean?
    heres a good calculator ,you can change the values to read in inches if you need to http://www.mil-rad.com/scope_ring_calculator