Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
Ok, so I'm not a shooter for a major manufacturer, or a top competitor at rifle matches, but over the years I have found something that keeps everything very consistent and it doesn't get any simpler. I just use a neck sizing die and seat my bullets just a hair long. Then when I chamber a round the bullet pushes back in the case just a little and seats with the ogive just touching the lands. I seat the bullet to it's final position with the bolt. Hard to get more consistent than that and about as simple as it gets. I'm also convinced this method provides consistent bullet start pressure taking neck tension for the most part out of the equation. Since I'm usually working up from scratch I've never had any pressure problems that I've read about that can be associated with "Jammed "bullets.
Just thought I'd throw it out there.
How do your hot loads compare in weight to max book loads? I'm trying to understand the dreaded and feared pressure spike I keep hearing about from your practice. A lot of guys jam their loads, it seems to work for most of them very well!

This rifle will likely only be used by myself, deep in national forest land, with pre targeted mountain sides. The threat of having to remove a round without using a dowel rod isn't huge, if the jam juice is worth the squeeze.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk